.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, March 31, 2005

EoMEoTE#5 - Triple Cream Brie scrambled eggs with sweetcorn, tapenade & coriander salsa



I was all set to start writing up details of my two fantastic birthday meals from yesterday, when I noticed that it was the end of the month, and I hadn't yet made my eggs on toast! As this months Egg on Toast extravaganza is being hosted by Johanna, whose parents I had the pleasure of staying with in Austria, and who I met in person in London last year, I really wanted to participate.
It's lunchtime here, so I ran into the kitchen and took stock of what was hanging around in the fridge. Considering I came up with the idea for this dish in about 4 seconds, I think it's pretty good!
I scrambled 2 eggs with a little milk and a chunk of excellent Seal Cove Triple Cream Brie from the stunning King Island Dairy, just off the coast of Tasmania, and put two slices of wholemeal bread in the toaster.
I made up a little salsa-type concoction by using an ear of sweetcorn I found in the vegetable crisper, the rest of a small tub of black olive tapenade, and some fresh coriander (cilantro). I wrapped the corn tightly in some plastic wrap and stuck in the microwave for a few minutes; it really cooks corn (and cauliflower) perfectly. I sliced off the kernals and mixed it with the tapenade and chopped coriander. Then I buttered my pieces of bread with the fantastically expensive but fantastically good Danish Lurpak salted butter I bought last week (and could eat by the chunk...mmmmm).

The combination of flavours worked really well; the rich, creamy scrambled eggs were nicely offset by the fully flavoured fresh salsa-creation. In turn the elements of the salsa worked well together - the sweetness of the corn, the saltiness of the tapenade and the freshness of the coriander. An inspired combination!
I only just finished the last mouthful of this. From sudden realisation, creation, photograhy and eating, it took about 15 minutes!

3 Comments:

  • Oooh...that is attractive!

    Triple cream brie; my hubby would love this. Looks yummy.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 3/31/2005 02:27:00 pm  

  • Fast and fancy! I've parsimoniously passed the Lurpak butter by a few times, but I'll have to try it now.

    By Blogger Anthony, at 4/01/2005 05:26:00 pm  

  • Stephanie- I think everyone would love this cheese. It's SO good!

    AG - you're so right. It seems to happen all the time...and often times when you don't have the camera handy!

    Anthony - oh yes! Do try it! I was turned off expensive European butters after trying Lescure, which cost too much for it to taste so bland. But this Lurpak lightly salted (I need salted butter) stuff is a revelation! It's SO good!

    By Blogger Niki, at 4/03/2005 09:04:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home