.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Market Fresh



Don't you love it when you can go to the market midweek, especially on a warm sunny day?
Here's my bounty I bought this morning - and it was so cheap! Well, apart from things I bought from the organic store; I always want to buy things from there, but they are so expensive compared to the regular stalls (ie $7.95 against $1.99 for a kilo of broccoli) But the regular stall was so cheap I had $10 left from my $20, so I decided to pop into the organics store and see if they had any Granny Smith apples. Yes, they were expensive, as was the pumpkin but they were playing classical music and the people were so nice. When they saw me struggling with my bags of too much broccoli and bananas etc. they helped me and said in future I could store any shopping bags with them when I went to other stores, and they'd help me carry bags to my car if needed. I immediately felt ashamed and resolved to go back there next time! And they played classical music!
So, broccoli, red capsicums (or capsicumber as my Italian nonna says), zucchini, pumpkin, autumn pears, Granny Smiths and bananas (79c a kilo, so I bought 3.5kilos....ummmm!). Yum!

4 Comments:

  • Uh, looks lovely Niki! I just got rhubarb from the market yesterday, mmm...

    By Blogger Cerebrum, at 4/28/2005 09:42:00 pm  

  • yet another reason to miss California...the produce!

    Matt and I keep looking for farmer's markets, but haven't had much luck.

    Man, that's attractive!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4/29/2005 04:29:00 am  

  • I m envious. Our markets here do not start before June.... Looks lovely Niki.

    By Blogger Ana, at 4/29/2005 09:17:00 pm  

  • Hi - this market we go to isn't actually a farmer's market, but a regular, partly undercover, large (a few square kilometres) market that has fruit/veg stands, a meat & fish buildings, a deli building and a shed for clothing/cds etc. It runs 4 days a week all through the year year, as do all the markets of its type in Melbourne.
    There are farmer's market too, of course, but they're usually much smaller and held once a month or something similar.
    The advantage for us is that we have access to really fresh fruit and vegetables from all across Australia and overseas all throug the year. It's always warm *somewhere* in Australia so we don't really have seasonal vegetables and fruits any longer.

    By Blogger Niki, at 4/30/2005 05:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home