.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Surprise Delivery



Well, look what I received on the front porch tonight when I came home from work. What a great surprise; the Christmas pudding all made and posted down from Canberra. Yarralumla in fact - very ooh ahh. Seeing that suburb on the box always gives me the feeling that I'm getting something direct from the Prime Minister's Lodge.
Three years ago my boyfriend's cousin offered to make an extra Christmas pudding for me. He used to work as a pastry chef, so who was I to say no? His family live in Canberra, so just before Christmas he went up to see his parents and used their kitchen for the mass pudding creation. This tradition continued last year, but this year I wasn't expecting anything as my boyfriend and I have ended our relationship a few weeks ago. However, he phoned me last week and said I was one of the few people who truly understood the effort he put into the puddings and really appreciated the quality, so he'd like the tradition to continue. Yay - my puddings will keep coming!

He uses a Roux Brothers recipe, and each year has modified it slightly. Last year he felt it was a little too "bright" and fruity, so he increased the spices this year and reduced the citrus. This year the pudding is also wheat-free as he used a flour with mostly maize in it. Low-carb is always fine in my eyes, especially after a huge day of constant food-consumption. Apparently I have to phone him on the day and let him know what I think.
The Christmas day forecast looks to be about 25C and sunny. Perfect! Not too hot, so we can sit by the pool with a few drinks in the evening.
Now I should go off and make the fabulous brandy sauce that is my contribution to the Great Pudding Tradition.

5 Comments:

  • What a wonderful, and kind thing to do!

    And we're sorry to hear about the boyfriend, though Matt says to tell you he never liked him anyway.

    By which he means, he didn't even realize you had a boyfriend.

    Hope things are going well...

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 12/23/2005 05:07:00 am  

  • Oh Niki - it's lovely that the cousin knows how much you appreciate it. And that he's happy to keep you in the Christmas pudding loop.

    Best of holiday wishes and hope you have a fab time in Japan!

    By Blogger plum, at 12/23/2005 12:24:00 pm  

  • Hi Niki - it's always difficult to give up people who appreciate your food, so I totally understand your ex's cousin:) Hope you're doing fine and are able to enjoy the festive season despite recent developments.
    I'm more worried about the heat - spending Christmas under 25 degree sun sounds icredible to me. That's what we have in the middle of the summer:)
    Pille, who is guaranteed a white and crispy Christmas in Tallinn..

    By Blogger Pille, at 12/24/2005 07:23:00 am  

  • Stephanie - Yes, it is a lovely thing to do and I really appreciate his effort. I've sent over a copy of Rose Levy Berenbaum's "The Cake Bible" as a present for him. I think he'll have an affinity with her perfectionism!
    Give Matt my thanks! It made me laugh!

    Plum - The Christmas pudding loop is a great term! Japan will be fab - it has been snowing over there so I almost get a white Christmas!

    Pille - You're right, it's is hard to find people who truly appreciate your efforts in the kitchen so it's best to try and keep them.
    25 degrees is nothing!! Yesterday it was 36 and humid. Revolting. We're looking forward to such a temperate Christmas day! :-)

    Cin - I do plan to post from my friend's computer, but we'll see if we ever get past the drinking sake around the kotatsu heater. Somehow I think that will be a more attractive option!!

    By Blogger Niki, at 12/24/2005 04:54:00 pm  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2008 01:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home