.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Unusual Lindt flavours for Christmas


This is a good one: Cinnamon and coriander. Interesting. Unusual! Seasonally flavoured things seem to be all the go in Europe. Even though I was in Dresden in mid-October, the Christmas spirit was getting into full swing. One day I noticed workers putting up the street decorations for the Christmas markets. Pretty funny, as it was a sunny 24 degrees that day, and I felt like I was back in Australia!
To get to my hotel I had to walk through the main train station - so clean I thought armies of mop-wielding robots were hiding in cupboards - and past a great snack shop, which had a WALL of Ritter Sport chocolate and a WALL of Lindt - in weird and wonderful flavours. We get nothing weird in Australia. Intense Orange is about as unusual as we get. Yawn and bah!
I'm all about the Lindt flavours, and the woman got to know me pretty quickly as the weirdo girl who couldn't speak German and kept buying truckloads of chocolate blocks. They had everything from Intense Pear, to Espresso, to Passionfruit Yoghurt to Strawberry Pannacotta. The Christmas flavours got me though: I tried Lindt cinnamon and coriander chocolate toffee-coated macadamia nuts and caramel apple Lindt balls. Hello - CARAMEL APPLE LINDT BALLS!!!!! Can you GET any better than that?? Why don't we get caramel apple Lindt balls in Australia??! C'mon Lindt management - give us the good stuff. Surely the Australian palate isn't so parochial and nervous. Have some trust in our sense of adventure! At least try some seasonal flavours on us eager chocolate eaters.
Yeah, so none of those caramel apple balls made it back past Prague and I ate the entire bag in one sitting. Yeah, so what?!? But this bar has made it, and is my last block of chocolate from the many I bought back - including the 5 Green & Black's blocks I bought at mega-cheap prices in Wales. Is that stuff amazing, or what!!
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

  • Damn, should have got you to ship me some mega cheap Green & Black's!! I think we should all write to Lindt... but I still like the orange!

    By Blogger Belinda, at 12/13/2006 08:42:00 pm  

  • I wouldn't have noticed but after reading this post, I walked through the city Myers and saw both Lindt chocolate and biscuits packaged for the Christmas market and there was the cinnamon/coriander flavoured chocolate. It tickled me that the packaging was all in German. I ended up with a box of biscuits, 'cause I figured Santa and Mrs Santa might need something special on Christmas eve...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/16/2006 10:25:00 pm  

  • we were completely absorbed by the different flavoured lindt overseas too. we brought back quite a few blocks to try as a result and are also lamenting the fact that we can't get those here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/17/2006 01:58:00 pm  

  • In Canada I came across Peanut Butter Lindt Balls. Uh huh...PEANUT BUTTER LINDT BALLS.

    And to this day, I still salivate just thinking about them!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/17/2006 07:57:00 pm  

  • Ooooh yeah. I sampled those peanut butter ones while in the US a couple of years ago.

    I bought some limited edition Lindt dark with lemon (rather than orange) a few months ago in Melbourne. It was OK, but I was thoroughly disappointed to discover that it contained non-descript fruit with lemon flavouring. D'oh!

    By Blogger Cindy, at 12/19/2006 02:25:00 pm  

  • Ok so why have I not heard about this before. Wow you have opened my eyes to Lindt I now need to have. Sounds absolutely fantastic I am a major chocoholic. I love Peanut Butter Cups and cannot stand that I have to pay $3.50 for two in a speciality chocolate store. I fell in love with them when I went to the states. Oh and the peanut butter balls. I miss the peanut butter Oreos that they used to have at Coles. They were so good with a glass of full cream milk..............Now I have to go and eat something to satisfy my urge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/21/2006 01:07:00 am  

  • Belinda - especially since I've discovered how expensive Green & Black's is here. I bought some at The Greengrocer, for $7 for 100 gram block!!

    Din - Ooooo! Thank you thank you! I might go in after Christmas and see if they have any left (maybe selling at cheaper price)!

    Cin - Finding unusual Lindt flavours is a favourite activity when I'm in Europe. I hate the fact we can't get the more interesting ones here.

    Mellie - OHMYGAWD! Are they as good as they sound? They sound REALLY GOOD to me (although my friends didn't agree!)

    Cindy - Yes, I've got some of that Lindt lemon here in Melbourne, leftover from Europe. It's ok - interesting compared to the orange, but not amazing. They also had intense cherry, which I took to the opera in Dresden. It was like a high-class cherry ripe, without the coconut, and with almond slivers instead. So, not really like a Cherry Ripe at all...

    By Blogger Niki, at 12/21/2006 11:07:00 pm  

  • I tried this choccie, and some described it as "Christmas in a bar" so true! :)

    PS Peanut butter Lindt balls are heavenly! Have to buy them in a mixed bag in the UK, then we fight for them!

    By Blogger cinabar, at 1/04/2009 12:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home