.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

More chocolate


Sorry, I've been very lazy and had an almost computer-free post-Christmas week, laying on the couch eating leftovers and watching Little Britain DVDs. I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and 2007 shapes up to be a good year. Christmas day here had very bizarre weather; in the afternoon it was only 9 degrees, hailing and snowing in the nearby hills. Today it's 34 degrees. Climate change in action! I loved the cold Christmas day; for the first time it felt right having a roast dinner and plum pudding. I even made red cabbage and apple, and mulled wine for the occasion. If I can't be in Europe for it, I can dream...

Today I received a large box in the mail from the woman who was the only other person on my Intrepid tour around the Czech Republic in October. We had an amazing week, with a fabulous tour guide and I have some very happy memories of my time there. As the only 2 in the group, and having to share a room, it was fortunate that we immediately clicked!
She had already told me that she'd send some chocolates from Kansas City to me, but I didn't think too much about it and, to be honest, I wasn't expecting anything extraordinary. The box was enormous and filled with packing foam. An insulated bag in the centre contained four icepacks, that were, incredibly, still cool to touch, and inside was luxuriously packaged box of chocolate by Chistopher Elbow that took my breath away.

I had great fun getting to the chocolates and was gobsmacked when I found them; the packaging is so luxurious! And then finding the chocolates themselves - I truly never imagined I'd actually eat such gorgeous creations myself! I've seen such intricately decorated chocolates in magazines and websites, but I'm pretty sure there is nobody in Melbourne doing such amazingly presented confectionary. Or is there? I'd love to know.

And the flavours! A representative example: Strawberry balsamic, Russian tea, Rosemary Caramel, pear cinnamon, Tahitian vanilla bean, Pinot Noir caramel, Spanish saffron, Caramel with fleur de Sel, Vietnamese Cinnamon, Espresso with lemon...
Two layers - so 2 of each. There's a note saying that because they contain no preservatives, they must be eaten within 12-14 days from purchase.

But I think I'm too in awe of them to try them! I admit I have only looked at them so far. I don't want to disturb the perfection. But I'm looking forward to getting into them very soon; they smell amazing. I'm so touched that she went to such effort and expense to send these to me; I was quite overwhelmed when I opened them. There are some really lovely people around.

Now what on earth could I send in exchange??? Maybe not a Violet Crumble and Caramello Koala....

10 Comments:

  • "Espresso with lemon"???

    My god... where's pineapple and mayonnaise for that matter?!?

    By Blogger swag, at 1/03/2007 05:43:00 pm  

  • Swag - the acidity of lemon works really well with the acidity of strong coffee. It's a combination I've had several times before; you should try it.

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/03/2007 06:13:00 pm  

  • Those sound divine! And they are so pretty too! Yes, there are still lovely people around the world...I too have been touched by wonderfully sweet gestures from people in the blogging community :)

    Chocolate is always a great way to start a year :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/03/2007 09:58:00 pm  

  • They are just so beautiful! I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to eat them... I suspect you're not going to beat that on the chocolate front, so maybe send something different?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/04/2007 09:42:00 am  

  • oh Niki, they're beautiful! I too have only dreamed of eating chocolates like that, so enjoy - and don't forget to tell us all about it!!

    By Blogger Cathy, at 1/04/2007 12:33:00 pm  

  • I buy gift chocolates from Choclatte in Camberwell, they are similar but not as gorgeous as the ones you received!
    Choclatte also does the perfect chocolate indulgence in a Lindt Milkshake...I use them to bribe my staff.

    By Blogger jodie, at 1/07/2007 10:38:00 pm  

  • Swag, the traditional way to serve espresso in italy is with a twist of lemon or orange zest, so it is not as strange as it may seem!

    By Blogger Lynne, at 1/08/2007 04:34:00 am  

  • Please, eat the Passionfruit one and share your thoughts. lol

    By Blogger Kalgrl, at 1/08/2007 08:29:00 pm  

  • There's a chocolatier in the QV centre in Melbourne... Max Brenner. I haven't bought anything from there yet, but the chocolates look incredible.

    http://www.maxbrenner.com/

    By Blogger Ms .45, at 1/31/2007 02:06:00 am  

  • choclatte in camberwell=best chocolates ive ever tasted. when i went there and saw the chocolates they looked to good to eat but tasted even better all handmade by a french chocolatier with beautiful french design and colour. i always come and buy my chocolates from here and have one of there lindt hot chocolates, iced chocolates or superb coffee. another thing to see is there fantastic latte art! amazzine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/28/2007 12:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home