.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Spiced wine cookies

Spiced wine cookies sitting in the intense Melbourne summer sunshine!

Last year I began a self-imposed tradtion to make cookies as presents for many people. You know, the people to whom you aren't really close enough to buy a present (people from church, members of choirs etc.), but would like to give them something at Christmas. Each year after midnight mass I would watch everyone hand out little parcels of chocolates and trinkets to the crowd, and decided it was something I wanted to do as well.
Last year I made about a million lebkuchen, or German gingerbread biscuits in the shape of stars and Christmas trees. I thought they were just ok and threw out the recipe...later on I found that everyone who tried them though they were fantastic and has requested them again this year. Oops! I tried very hard to find the recipe again (if anyone has a December 2003 copy of the New Zealand magazine, Cuisine, I would be most appreciative!), but when the latest IMBB Cookie Swap revealed Cook Sister's Dutch/South African Spiced Wine Cookies I knew what I was going to try this year.

I made a double batch of the mixture and have made up about 40 packages with three cookies in each. They actually weren't nearly as chewy as the description described; they are more dense and cakey and I think I could add even more spices to really make them taste Christmassy - but they are certainly excellent as they are. I wonder if they'll be as popular as last year's effort? Time will tell...


  • Hi there!
    OK, so I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake but I've only just read this post and seen that you tried my soetkoekies - that's great! I'm really glad you liked them, and dense and cakey is probably a more accurate description than mine. I just loved the taste, particularly when they were still hot out of the oven...

    Love your blog, and especially your really great pics.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/10/2005 09:16:00 pm  

  • Your blog is wonderful, I like it very much, thank you!
    By the way, do you like Burberry Polos, which are very chic, especially the Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts, I love them very much. I also like playing sports, it can keep healthy, what do you like to do?
    We are the outlet of Wholesale Polo Shirt, Polo Ralph Lauren shirts on sale,these products are best-seller in our store cheap polo shirts Cheap Polo Shirtsour products also have a corresponding discount activitiesWholesale Polo Shirts -50% OFF,cheap polo shirts Cheap Polo ShirtsSo if you love these, you should not miss our store, we can meet what you want, and you can find many surprise in our store

    By Blogger 婷婷, at 1/19/2010 07:22:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home