.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Peking Duck



We've just disovered that the local take-away roast chicken n chips shop, run by an Asian family, also sells Peking ducks. Fabulous! I love duck, and it's very rare that I get to have it at a restaurant, as it always requires 24 hours notice and I'm not usually that organised. Nor do I usually eat at Chinese restaurants, now that Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are so popular in Melbourne. Chinese food was big in the 70s, but has lost a bit of its excitement since the wave of immigrants from South-East Asia to Australia during the past few decades. The more subtle flavours and seemingly less healthy food of Cantonese cuisine (which makes up most Chinese restaurants here) just can't compete with the strong, fresh flavours and healthier cooking styles of the Vietnamese and Thais. But, you still can't beat classic Peking Duck - the glorious lacquered, crispy skin and the tender meat, served on thin pancakes and drizzled with sweeet & salty Hoisin sauce. Yummm. And even better that I can have it in the comfort of my own home.
This shop sold us not only a perfectly prepared duck, already cut into pancake-sized portions, a big pile of soft, thin Chinese pancakes, a container of spring onions, pickled ginger and vegetables & a tub of Hoisin sauce, but also handed over the bones and carcass to make stock! This cost about $28 and fed 3 of us for 2 nights.
We already had some Peking duck sauce at home, bought at an Asian grocery, which I preferred; the combination of salty and sweet just can't be beat (oooh poetry), so I slathered some over a pancake, added my duck and vegetables and closed my eyes in happiness. This was sooo good. I'm definitely making this a regular event when it's a non-cooking night. Certainly beats take-away pizza!

4 Comments:

  • Hi Niki,

    I'm enjoying your blog very much. Can you tell me the brand of Peking duck sauce you mentioned? I've put my hand up to make Peking Duck for my annual girls' Christmas lunch and I'm already planning how to go about it.

    Thanks very much

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/24/2005 02:15:00 pm  

  • Hi Loretta - I would seriously love to tell you which one I have, but there's no brand name in English on the jar! There's a few big Chinese characters and underneath it just says "Sauce for Beijung Roast Duck".
    It's 250ml and has a yellow lid. Imported by HQA Australia in Springvale, VIC.
    It's definitely the nicest I've tasted - perfect combo of sweet and sour with a real hit of garlic too.
    If you like I can take a photo of the jar and email to you? Drop me an email if you want it!

    By Blogger Niki, at 9/28/2005 07:36:00 pm  

  • Oh! Wait a minute. I found something in small print on the back:
    "Foshan Haitian Flavouring and Food Co. Ltd"
    So, there you go. And it cost us all of $1.95 in a little Asian grocery store on High St, Preston!

    By Blogger Niki, at 9/28/2005 07:37:00 pm  

  • Hi Niki,

    Can you tell me where in Melbourne you buy your Peking duck you mentioned and whether the same people still own the shop?

    Thanks,

    Michelle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2007 10:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home