.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Birthday treats



Yesterday was my birthday (28 years old....scarily close to 30) and I spent a very enjoyable day with family and friends - a large part of which was sitting in 2 very excellent restaurants. My mother and I enjoyed a very extravagant and stunning lunch at one of Melbourne best retaurants, Ezard at Adelphi, where we had the 8 course tasting menu. After a few hours to recouperate at home, opening presents and drinking more champagne, I was taken out for dinner by A. to our favourite old-world Parisian bistro/restaurant/bar called The European (they serve their complimentary bread with a pot of aioli, which makes it by that fact alone A's favourite restaurant ever!). I'll post reviews with further details of both places soon, especially of the tasting menu, which was definitely a culinary highlight for me.
I received lots of exciting presents from my friends and family...there's certainly no mistaking that I've taken to the cooking theme with gusto; amongst my gifts were a cookbook stand, a new cookbook (with great photos) and......a complete set of kitchen knives from the Japanese company Global. I'll take a photo when it's daylight again, but these are spectacular! I only wanted 1 knife, but I got 6 and a knife block! I am an extremely fortunate girl, with a wonderful generous mother ('yes, they were fairly expensive!' she commented).
Anyway, the photo above is of the birthday cake mum bought for me, as she proclaimed that it wasn't appropriate for me to make my own birthday cake on the day of my birthday. By then I was basking in the luxury of the day so I agreed. She bought it from the French patisserie Laurent and it is a light, airy concoction of sponge, vanilla mousse, fresh raspberries and mango, and topped with caramelised soft meringue. A lovely way to fill the appetite gap you get in the few hours between a day of fine restaurants. lol! ;-)

8 Comments:

  • Beautiful cake. I hope it tasted as good as it looked. And Happy Birthday, Niki.

    By Blogger Nic, at 4/01/2005 01:02:00 am  

  • Happy Birthday Niki! Sounds like you had an amazing day, can't wait to hear more about it! A cookbook stand - is that like one of those plastic thingys you keep your cookbook in while you cook? I got one of those for my birthday too!

    By Blogger Cerebrum, at 4/01/2005 03:27:00 am  

  • What an awesome-looking cake! And 'well-done' on the knives; the hubby would be jealous. Happy Birthday!

    Btw; 30 isn't as scary as some think. Having recently crossed that milestone myself, I can honestly say that 25 freaked me out a heck of a lot more than 30!

    But then, ask me how I feel in another ten years...

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4/01/2005 05:19:00 am  

  • Ooh, happy birthday!! The cake looks amazing, and those Global knives? My favorite. I've had my chef's knife for six years, and it's really great.

    By Blogger Anne, at 4/01/2005 02:36:00 pm  

  • Happy belated birthday Niki! You know, when I saw the picture of your cake I thought it was topped with fortune cookies! They would be appropriate for a birthday cake, wouldn't they!? ;-)

    By Blogger Cathy, at 4/04/2005 12:17:00 am  

  • I have just read this. Happy belated birthday! Don't be afraid, 30 is realyy not that bad. And Global Knives! Have fun with them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2005 10:00:00 pm  

  • lovely cake !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/04/2009 08:05:00 am  

  • lovely cake !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/04/2009 08:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home