.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Monday, May 02, 2005

EoMEoTE! Luxury Eggs



Heh! Who ever said eggs and toast had to be humble, eh? Yeah! Bring on the caviar!
Perhaps inspired by the write up of my luxury lunch I decided to go all luxurious on you this time, for your supposedly humble egg on toast extravangaza. Hah - I know the real agenda! And it's caviar all the way...
Once again, I forgot about making something for my contribution until I read Grab Your Fork's entry. My thoughts went something like 'Oops - ok. Well, it's midnight Sunday/Monday here, and I haven't had a real dinner. I was just about to get up an rummage for something, so this is a damn good excuse to make something eggy! I know we have lots of eggs - my Nonna's friend has too many chickens....I know, I'll use that caviar that's in the fridge leftover from that gourmet French dinner I did. Hmmm...what goes with caviar. Lobster? No....what goes with caviar AND is in my fridge right now?"

Well, I decided to make an oeuf en cocotte. Have you noticed these have suddenly become the trendy foodblogging thing to do at the moment? That whole comfort/nursery food idea :-). I got me a ramekin and then pulled out a few odds and ends from the fridge. I smeared a little miso paste on the bottom of the ramekin and added a few dabs of light sour cream (yeah, weird, I know), cracked in the egg and cooked it in a bain marie until it was set. Which was a h*ll of a long time - my water evidently wasn't hot enough. About 20 minutes later it looked done, and I topped it with a few decadent spoonfuls of caviar (ok, ok. Lumpfish roe. Sorreee for not going all out on you! Sevruga OK for you next time?!?) and wholemeal toast soliders dripping in butter. Mmmm....toast soliders and runny egg yolk. Yummmmm. Even better was toast soliders, runny egg yolk, rich miso paste and salty caviar bobbles that popped lightly in my mouth.
It made for a lovely little midnight snack. Thank you EoMEoTE for bringing me late-night satisfaction... Now I'm cold and going to bed!

4 Comments:

  • Oh, what a neat dish!

    This whole ouef (sp???) thing is new to me...maybe it's more of a EU/UK specialty?

    The addition of miso is brilliant! What color did you use (I always have white miso on hand...).


    I've never had caviar...and it's doubtful I ever will...but it sounds so decadent!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 5/02/2005 01:53:00 am  

  • I love toast soldiers with eggs. And with soup - especially pumpkin soup. They look crispy and perfect. Great entry, as it makes me want to have breakfast all over again.

    By Blogger Nic, at 5/02/2005 07:45:00 am  

  • Hi Stephanie - The miso I have is a brown colour. I've heard of white miso, but I've never seen it (or never hunted it out). This miso is about 7 years old, I reckon. It was bought for a dinner party in Canberra by my boyfriend's housemate, transferred to Melbourne when my bf moved down here, and collected by me when I realised he was never going to use it. It still seems fine - I mean, it's already fermented so it can't really go any more off, can it? I reckon it's like Vegemite; it'll withstand nucelar fallout!

    Nic - Pumpkin soup is fabulous, and such a comfort food in Autumn/Winter. I'm actually thinking of using the pumpkin in the fridge to make some soup pretty soon.

    AG- I love midnight feasts! They're the ones that taste the best.

    By Blogger Niki, at 5/02/2005 09:35:00 pm  

  • What a clever combination!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/20/2005 09:09:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home