.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Stan's Famous (Almond Mocha) Brownies



Well, I said I'd engage in some testing of the recipes in the Epicure search for the perfect brownie article, and this is the first.
I decided to make Stan's Famous Brownies, which use cocoa powder rather than chocolate. This is a great recipe to make when you need to whip something up without having to make a trip to the shops. It contains things you're likely to have in your cupboards, and was a good one for me, deciding as I did at 10pm that I would start a brownie baking project without chocolate in the house. This is something I often do, and I should learn! I also wanted to make them as the day this article appeared in the paper, I was sitting in The European in Spring Street after work, reading it over a red wine and some aged cheddar croquettes (cheesy poofs!), and our waitress commented that she used to work for the Stan of the recipe's title and he personally showed her how to make the brownies. She reckoned they were pretty darn fine.
I didn't have walnuts, so used the almonds I had left over from a second batch of the fantastic granola recipe I use. I also decided to add a few tablespoons of rum to the batter. Rum can only make things good, surely. :-)
I even made the chocolate coffee icing to slather over the tops which makes them look pretty damn decadent. So far I've only tried a small sliver at fridge temperature, and it was very rich, dense and chocolatey. I would look forward to tasting them at room temperature, but I'm taking these to a cake stall tomorrow morning, and somehow I don't think I'll get a chance!
So, a pretty good, nearly perfect brownie recipe. Not quite as tall and thick as I'd like, but I had halved the recipe and a smaller tin could probably solve that issue.
Read on for the recipe:


Stan's Famous Brownies
From The Age Epicure, 21/6/05
Given the number of burrito-munchers who've eaten these brownies at the many Taco Bill's restaurants in which American Stan Teschke has an interest, the "famous" claim is hard to dispute.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp salt
METHOD
· Preheat oven to 180C.
· Melt butter in double boiler, stir in cocoa. Remove from heat, then stir in sugar.
· Break eggs into mixture one at a time, then add flour and stir to combine.
· Add walnuts, vanilla and salt and stir to combine all ingredients.
· Pour into greased and lightly floured 18cm x 28cm baking tray.
· Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
Do not overcook.
Makes: about 18 large brownies.


ICING
6 tbsp butter, melted
½ cup cocoa
1/4 cup strong coffee
2 cups icing sugar
Combine all ingredients. Ice brownies while still warm.


11 Comments:

  • Niki

    Those brownies look really decadent. Good recipe to keep in mind for a party.

    By Blogger Ana, at 7/02/2005 08:16:00 pm  

  • These sound great, Niki. I like brownies made with cocoa because they're usually easier than recipes where you have to melt chocolate. OR it could be that I'm just a bit lazy. Either way, I think I'll give these a try.

    By Blogger Nic, at 7/02/2005 11:01:00 pm  

  • this looks really good!
    I generally prefer not to keep excess chocolate in the house, so yummy brownies that can be made with cocoa are perfect! Yay! Thanks heaps :)

    By Blogger eat stuff, at 7/03/2005 12:48:00 am  

  • That's some fine looking brownies! I haven't made brownines in...ages. Maybe I should grab yet another of your recipes!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 7/03/2005 02:17:00 am  

  • Those look really good - especially with the icing. Have you figured what makes cakey or fudgy? Every time I try brownies they turn out with a different texture, but I prefer fudgy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/03/2005 02:33:00 am  

  • those are some luscious looking brownies! i never have chocolate laying about either- i usually eat it before i can cook with it, haha

    By Blogger tanvi, at 7/03/2005 07:19:00 am  

  • Ana - these are really quick to make, and would be perfect to take to a party

    Nic - Cocoa brownies are so much easier, and despite my thoughts that they couldn't be as good as ones made with chocolate, I've been proven wrong.

    Clare - I also don't like keeping chocolate in the house for the same reason!

    Stephanie - Feel free! These are seriously gooey brownies, although trying them yesterday Alex and I decided they were more like a good, dense chocolate cake. Yummy, but more like gooey cake than fudgy brownie. The icing makes them fudgier, though.

    Petit - Well, my bf and I had a long discussion about what makes a brownie so, because he felt this lot were more like a dense choccie cake. We came to the conclusion that it's more butter and eggs that make a brownie truly fudgy and sludge-like. In that case, I wouldn't ice them. Too much of a good thing!

    Tanvi - Exactly the reason I never have chocolate in the house either!

    By Blogger Niki, at 7/04/2005 05:23:00 pm  

  • Hi Niki! I made these brownies last night! Here's the story!

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7/12/2005 09:35:00 am  

  • Please note - Maggie Beer is not based on Kangaroo Island, she's been operating in the Barossa Valley on her famous Pheasant Farm for about 40 years!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2007 04:05:00 pm  

  • Anon - that's interesting, but what does it have to do with this post?

    By Blogger Niki, at 5/03/2007 06:25:00 pm  

  • i am fans of brownies. look at that picture....i really want to eat them :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/17/2008 03:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home