.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Friday, October 21, 2005

Choccie present!


Oooh - look what we received by courier the other day from the sister of my friend for whom I was bridesmaid a few weeks ago! She wanted to thank my mum and I for hosting the hen's party at our house. This is in addition to the huge box of roses, pot pourri, essential oils and chocolate we received earlier from the bride and her mum as thanks! Feeling very spoiled now.
Max Brenner is a chocolate 'magnate' from Israel who has set up chocolate concept stores in Australia, UK and South-East Asia. Not just places to buy chocolates, they are also cafes that sell a wide range of Kosher hot chocolates and chocolate desserts. It's very popular at the moment, however I've had two very underwhelming taste experiences when trying the hot chocolate there; the orchid oil hot chocolate seriously tasted bland like dish water, and was far too expensive for what it was. Tasted like the chocolate powder was sprinkled from the top of a tall building. And In my opnion, the Suckao is an effective gimmick and great for a date, but not quite worth the excitement or cost. I had never had tried the individual chocolates because they were so darn expensive, but the dense chocolate souffle is pretty damn good, I agree. My opinion; go to Koko Black in the Royal Arcade or Lygon St for your hot chocolate and best truffles in Melbourne fix instead.

But in any case, I'm always eager to try new chocolate, so I was very excited by a delivery of expensive chocolates to my doorstep. I'm more than happy to change my opinion of something, if it deserves it.

The verdict: very good. Brenner has just about redeemed himself to me. :-) My favourite, easily, is the Chicao: 75% dark chocolate pellets with Ecuadorian cocoa bits. Very dark and bitter, and I love the crunchy cocoa beans. Mum found these too bitter for her, so I have the tin to myself. She preferred the milk chocolate caramel and coconut cubes, which I found a little too sweet, so she took posession of that tin. Worked well, eh? We both loved the praline and milk chocolate coated pecan nuts - yum!
We haven't yet opened the block of 65% Venezuelan chocolate, but something tells me its dark bitterness is going to be more to my taste than mum's, but you never know..... :-)
So, even though we were more than happy to put in the effort for my friend's party, we are so grateful and excited to receive such a thoughtful present! Thanks so much!

4 Comments:

  • This is a great present. I love Max Brenner chocolate. Whenever I have a chance, I will get extra and send it to my father (he's bald, so "Chocolate by the Bald Man" just sort of fits).

    By Blogger Nic, at 10/21/2005 11:12:00 pm  

  • Success!

    The longer the cake sat today, the moister it got. I have no idea why.

    I heart Niki and Honey Cakes. *grin*

    I took a picture of my boyfriend's Edward Bear with some Earl Grey, half a jar of buckwheat honey, and the WHOLE CAKE -- all laid out as a tea party. I'm such a goof.

    And to stay on topic: Mmmm...chocolate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2005 10:46:00 am  

  • Mmmn, Niki, I've had a block of the milk chocolate (half price in the specials at David Jones) and didn't rate it much, but some of the little cubes can be gorgeous! A very nice treat and especially since someone else paid for it!! Always good! I'll have to check out Koko Black for the truffles.

    By Blogger plum, at 10/22/2005 08:07:00 pm  

  • Nic - Chocolate by the bald man is such a great tag line! And I opened the block of 70% on the weekend and it's excellent; hardly believe it's 70% as it has none of the bitterness other 70%s have.

    Lisamarie - I think the recipe says someething about letting it sit for the moisture to distribute and all that stuff. I didn't notice it personally, but I'm not surprised you did! Another reason this cake would be great to make when it gets busy around holidays. I'm so pleased it did work out for you!

    Cin & Plum - oooh yeah. The Koko Black truffles are brilliant. Plum - if you go to the Royal Arcade store, turn left instead of right to the counter, and there should be a basket filled with packets of truffles. Sometimes they sell them a bit cheaper bc they're a bit too small or misshapen. For me, that's the first place to turn!

    By Blogger Niki, at 10/24/2005 10:56:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home