.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Haigh's SUPER Chocolate Frog


Look what A. got today. :-) Ok, so it was a present from me to thank him for singing some gorgeous songs by Vaughan-Williams (which made me cry) during my schoolfriend's wedding on Sunday. Sure, I could have bought him flowers, but he's always out at work or rehearsal and wouldn't get a chance to enjoy them at home. And yes, I could have bought him wine, but as a singer taking care of his voice, I'd be the one who drank it. Great for me, but not such a present for him.
So, I bought him dark chocolate. That's one of the things that is good for singers' throats! Specifically anything ove 70%, which this isn't, but still.....it's a giant chocolate frog people! Wouldn't you kill to have one yourself?? This baby is nearly half a kilo of thick as guts dark chocolate - see the hastily arranged blue clothes peg for a size comparison.

I've wanted one for years, but never really had good enough reason to do it. So I thoroughly enjoyed the little expedition to the Haigh's shop on Swanston St on my day off on Monday, presenting it to him on his lunchbreak. Being a good Adelaide boy, A. is a big fan of Haigh's (we even visited the factory in July), and an even bigger fan of their dark chocolate. Yes, it's "only" 51%, not 70%, but who's nitpicking here? Giant dark chocolate frog, people!

This thing is seriously thick. Tooth breakingly thick, and I was intrigued as to how he'd go about getting stuck into it. Would he use a knife? Would he soften it slightly in the microwave? Would he just risk dental costs and attack it with his teeth? So, I interrogated him via email. His reply:
Subject: Re: interested to know
Bit off with my teeth. Ate about 2/5 of it, then felt sick so stopped.
Tastes so yummy! :-)

No wonder! 2/5 is giving it a fair whack. I bet he suffered all afternoon with an Augustus Gloop-sized tummy ache! :-)

Tagged with: +

3 Comments:

  • YUM! Dark. Chocolate. Frog.

    I keep promising myself I'll get one for xmas.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2005 04:42:00 pm  

  • Half a kilo? Sure it isn't a cane toad?

    Incidentally - surprise, surprise - I never heard back from the Haigh's customer information lady after I tolde her that she'd not actually read my message about Fair Trade sourcing before sending me her stock reply about slave labour in Ghanaian cocoa plantations.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2005 10:55:00 pm  

  • yeah, they never tell me if it's fairtrade either!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2006 01:18:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home