.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Monday, January 23, 2006

Kit Kat Strawberry


One of the most exciting things about Japan is their really interesting confectionery. Crunky bars, Chocopies, Almond Walking Bars, E-ma lollies, Dars, Petit Bit.......fabulous!
It's always been one of my favourite pastimes to check out the sweet aisles of local supermarkets in foreign countries, and Japan is a ripper country for this. I had often heard about the amazing Kit Kat flavours the get over there, and for weeks before I left I would tell everyone that I'd bring them back a green tea Kit Kat. Australia doesn't really have exciting Kit Kat flavours; we've had an orange one, there's a peanut butter one out now, and apparently there's a cappucino flavour about, but a country where exciting Kit Kats are the norm is an exciting place to be! It became a bit of a passion of mine to track down the green tea flavour, and I don't wonder that the trip didn't become known as Niki's Amazing Search for Kit Kats. I made us stop at practically every convenience store we went past, and considering there's one about every 100 metres, I may have tested everyone's patience.

In the end I found myself 7 different Kit Kat flavours, but sadly, no green tea flavour. Perhaps it's a summer thing? It was actually pretty difficult to find any unusually favoured Kit Kats; many stores only stocked the regular one, or the regular plus one variety. I got really excited one day on a train platform when I saw the little stand selling 2 special flavours! So, it really did take me all of 2 weeks to amass the little collection I have.

I plan to reveal a different flavour to you each day, for seven days. The flavours range from the sublime to the ridiculous, but today we start with something fairly inocuous: Strawberry flavour.
This was the easiest flavour to find along with the regular version. It appeared in nearly every kombeni, from Lawson Station to Sankus (so called because the founder apparently thought it sounded like the word "thanks"!). Lucas thought it was everywhere because pink is a New Year colour, and this might have been a commemorative flavour. I didn't think it was particularly exciting, so I ignored it for most of the trip until the last day when I decide to grab it to complete my full collection. You can see the price on this one: 120 Yen, which was about $1.50AUD.

So, a white chocolate coating made pink, and with speckles. Do you remember those Strawberry Shortcake dolls from your childhood? Well, this smells just like those. In other words, totally fake. Chemical strawberry. And well, that's ok, because I'm hardly expecting 100% organic strawberry puree. It's a Kit Kat. It's for the masses! But I think the masses who would enjoy this would be teenage girls, who could accesorise it with their shiny pink mobile phones.
Taste: Kind of like white chocolate, with the fake strawberry smell. Not terrible, but not wonderful either. Just a bit meh. Nothing special.
Each flavour has also been tested by someone else, who battled through 7 flavours on Saturday night, when it was still about 35 degrees at midnight. I had stuck them in the fridge beforehand, so at least they weren't complete mush, but chocolate on a night like that was really for the die-hard fans.
So. My score for this one was 4 out of 10.
This feeling was confirmed by my friend who emailed me his scores. Also a 4 out of 10.

9 Comments:

  • I've seen Kit Kats filled with strawberry cream out here in the US recently, I think for Valentine's day. I kind of wanted to try it, but I don't think it'd be worth the $1 after reading your review. Thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/24/2006 04:14:00 am  

  • Hi Niki, looking forward to your Kit Kat series! A friend brought me back a pineapple flavoured one from Japan once. I can't remember if it was nice or not!

    By Blogger Kelly, at 1/24/2006 10:12:00 am  

  • FoK - I dunno, strawberry cream sounds kinda interesting. Is it normal milk chocolate? If so, it might be ok. I think it was the white chocolate that made this a bit gross.

    Kelly - Pineapple? Cool!!! Wish I'd seen one of those!

    Cin - Yeah, so was I. I also tried wine (meh) and dark (fab!). It was so much fun!

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/24/2006 04:53:00 pm  

  • Afterwards, was Kit Kat of the green tea flavor found?

    I was born and grow up in Japan.
    Kit Kat was loved sweets from early childhood now though it was 35 years old.
    Kit Kat of various flavors appears for ten-odd years, and it samples it variously.
    Green tea has not been seen yet.
    No do be known whether it is possibly "Regional limitation" either.
    "Shizuoka Prefecture" is known as special product ground of tea in Japan. When the pineapple flavor thinks about "Okinawa Prefecture limitation", the green tea flavor might possibly be "Shizuoka Prefecture limitation. "
    It will be possible to go from Tokyo by Shinkansen in about one hour, and, this time, go by all means, please.

    Additionally, "Blueberry flavor" and "Banana flavor" are often seen
    recently.
    Moreover, it is seen to sell it with CD of a young musician recently.


    Kit Kat is found by enjoying traveling. It seems to be really happy.
    However, it readily calls it because it mails it when it wants to obtain in the emergency
    by all means and it becomes it.

    By Blogger excite, at 6/18/2006 01:29:00 pm  

  • The green tea Kit Kats were really bland, horrible. But I must admit the standard ones just taste like sugar and wax.

    By Blogger Dr.Gray, at 5/31/2008 09:46:00 pm  

  • I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a strawberries lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, the strawberries taste is so delicious! Thanks for this great moment!

    By Anonymous sildenafil citrate, at 5/18/2010 03:21:00 am  

  • Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.

    By Anonymous send flowers to Kuwait, at 7/20/2010 04:02:00 pm  

  • your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

    By Anonymous Canada flower shops, at 7/21/2010 05:11:00 pm  

  • wow i ;like this chocolate.....

    By Anonymous sample testing questions for cna, at 7/28/2010 08:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home