.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Europe!


As Belinda has already noted on her blog, in about 6 weeks we're going to be in Europe. We sing in the same small group and we're going on our second European concert tour - this time to Italy, Switzerland and the UK. Very exciting stuff! Naturally, as devoted foodies, we're keen to get any recommendations from readers of places we should go to eat or delicacies we should try. On our last tour in '04 I made it a point to try a local dish in every country - the plate of raw herring and pickles I had in Odense, Denmark was not as bad as it sounds, but the fatty blood sausage in Cologne was a bit much...
So, here's a list of the places we're visiting. If you have any suggestions for places we MUST got to eat, please let us know!
*Yes, the photo is from our last tour - just before our concert in Linz, Austria.
Italy:
Rome
Chieti (Abruzzo)
Florence, Siena & Barberino val d'Elsa (Chianti region, Tuscany)
Crema & Lodi (near Milan)
Levanto (the Cinque Terre)
Pisa

Switzerland
Locarno
Payerne (near Fribourg)
Lucerne & Engelberg
Solothurn

United Kingdom
London
Cambridge


Post-tour, Belinda is off to Paris and I'm spending 2 weeks travelling around the Czech Republic (7 nights in Prague) and Dresden. Then I'm coming back for 10 days driving through the Cotswolds and Wales with my mum - a total of nearly 2 months away! I don't know if I'll be able to blog much during that time, so there might be a bit of a hiatus on this site! I don't know much about the Cotswolds, so any information would be eagerly appreciated.

7 Comments:

  • Oops, I just saw my "Europen" typo! :)

    By Blogger Belinda, at 8/09/2006 08:08:00 pm  

  • Have a great trip Niki! And you know, should you somehow end up more north than you imagined, there's a bed for you here! (or at least a mattres on the floor, heh!)

    By Blogger Cerebrum, at 8/09/2006 10:29:00 pm  

  • Have a wonderful time Niki! I just love Europe with all my heart! Being from Czech, I would have to reccommend the restaurant Hergetova Cihelna in Prague. It sits on the Vltava River and overlooks the Charles Bridge. It's beautiful and the food is contemporary and delicious! Safe travels to you!

    By Blogger Dianka, at 8/16/2006 05:46:00 am  

  • When in Switzerland I found a wonderful chocolate shop in Yverdon, sadly I can't remember the name but if you find it, there were the most wonderful champagne truffles.

    By Blogger neil, at 8/16/2006 10:06:00 am  

  • Hey Niki,

    Cambridge is a great town; I'm sure you'll love it. I was there for about a week staying in my friend's share house, which was awesome.

    Anyway, I did a couple of blogs about food in Cambridge...

    http://sarah-cooks.blogspot.com/2006/06/cambridge-random-food.html

    http://sarah-cooks.blogspot.com/2006/06/cambridge-midsummer-house.html

    http://sarah-cooks.blogspot.com/2006/06/cambridge-picnic-on-river.html

    I don't have the addresses of those places, but Cambridge is a small town - just ask someone who lives there to tell you where they are.

    The Ostrich Burger stand is only open on Sundays, and it's dope. There's also this place called Gardi's in town - it's kinda like Stalactites in Melbourne - with chips and kebabs and stuff like that.

    Enjoy!

    xox Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 8/18/2006 10:30:00 am  

  • Hi there,

    I just came across your blog via Google :) Anyhoo, I'm originally from the UK and I have to recommend that you visit a chip shop. Or a greasy spoon. Basically, you have to try either chip shop chips or a full English breakfast :) Can't be beat :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/01/2006 03:44:00 pm  

  • hmm, I am not sure if my dates are right but it looks like we will just miss each other in the Cotswolds...I'll be there briefly in mid-late October. It's one of the most beautiful areas of England, and (though not quite food related) you must take time to visit at least some of the amazing gardens there, especially Hidcote and Kiftsgate. And don't miss at least one or more cream teas when you are in England. (or a full tea with sandwiches/cakes/etc. for that matter.) If it's in your budget (it's awfully pricey) having a meal at Barnsley House, former home of gardening guru Rosemary Verey which is now a chichi hotel-restaurant, will get you into see the amazing gardens, including the absolutely fabulous potager (veg. garden).

    As for Luzern...well I guess it won't help you much if I said my favorite restaurant there is La Cucaracha, a Mexican joint with killer margaritas... :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/10/2006 05:55:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home