.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Espresso chocolate cupcakes



I made these a few days after returning from Europe. I hadn't baked for such a long time, and received a present of half a kilo of really good quality Dutch cocoa powder. I wanted to make some little cakes to keep in the freezer for when the need arises, and I wanted to make them using cocoa powder, not chocolate.

So, this recipe was found on The Daily Bread website. The icing calls for 1/4 cup of coffee, so I decided to add some coffee powder to the cakes too, making a fairly intense coffee, chocolate experience.

Look at them in front of the fire. Is there a more comforting sight?

Espresso Chocolate cupcakes


3 Comments:

  • looking at your pictures, you seem to live in a bot of a showhouse - very envyous... you've seen baby max and probably can imagine that our place is a complete mess at any time of day! i am just wondering now: why on earth have you got the firplace going at the height of summer? it must be pretty warm in melbourne already, isn't it?
    love johanna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/24/2004 06:44:00 am  

  • Ahhh...the vagaries of Melbourne weather! It doesn't really warm up here until early December, and stays quite Summery until late March. Spring in Melbourne is a bit of a fizzer really; it continues Wintery grey and cool, and in fact we get the majority of the year's rainfall in September-November. We have the occasional day in the high 20s or low 30s, but it immediately will drop again. Melbourne weather really is legendary in its fickleness; two days ago I was wearing a polar fleece vest and woolly scarf, but tomorrow it's going to be 31 degrees! Go figure.
    The day I took that photo it was about 13 degrees, pouring rain and miserable. So the fire was blazing madly. :-)
    Niki

    By Blogger Niki, at 11/24/2004 11:19:00 am  

  • Oh, and thank you for your comment about our house. Yes, it really is quite a photogenic place, and I don't think I'll run out of places to pose my cooking efforts for a little while!
    My parents played a large role in designing the house, in a modern, airy style and my mother has a flair for interior design, so it really is a lovely place to live.

    By Blogger Niki, at 11/24/2004 11:38:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home