.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Beer Can Chicken with sticky cranberry 'stuffing'


WARNING! GRAPHIC PHOTO AHEAD!

When I first read the entry on the Passionate Cook's site for Beer Can Chicken I burst out laughing; it sounded so crazy, but she assured us that it created the most incredibly moist, tasty chicken, so I tried it. I loved it so much that when I had dinner at my friend's house last week I decided it'd be an interesting, low-maintenance dinner we could make. I also know it'd make her burst into hysterical laughter.
So, what is it that makes it so funny? So unusual? Well, you stuff a can of beer up its bum! Yep, that is correct - open a can of beer, drink about half of it (don't you love a recipe that tell you to do that?!) and stuff it up the chicken's ar$e...the liquid inside the can heats up and steams the inside of the chicken, keeping it incredibly moist, tender and infused with flavour. Meanwhile the chicken gets roasted standing up, which makes ALL the skin crispy and golden. It's such a great method that I can see myself making it many times in my future!
So....want to see a picture? I warn you...it's graphic!
YES! I want to see a picture of a chicken with a can up its bum!


Doesn't it look hysterical! It looks even funnier when you unhook the wings so it resembles an extroverted dancing chook, but that photo didn't work out so well.....
This time we chose to fill the can with red wine and garlic, instead of beer as I wanted to try a different flavour; it worked really well. I also made up the sticky cranberry glaze from the Passionate Cook's site, but chose to only stuff it between the skin and meat, as I didn't want it sliding off and ending up in the bottom of the pan.
A note; an incredible amount of juices and fat dripped from the chicken into the pan, which meant the roast potatoes we were cooking in the pan with the chicken ended up being stewed potatoes; still tasty, but not crispy!
I can thoroughly recommend this way of roasting a chicken; it not only creates the most moist, tasty and crispy chicken, but is also a talking and laughing point for you and your guests!

5 Comments:

  • Niki,
    I love that recipe! In September, I prepared this for my BBQ Class! I prepare my 'beer-can chicken' on my Weber Grill! It is delish! My family has renamed this chicken dish..... too rude of a name to publish on your blog....Lots of fun tho!
    Melissa

    By Blogger Banlieue Blog, at 3/15/2005 03:24:00 am  

  • It's a brilliant recipe, isn't it! It sounds like it should be a gimmick, but it works so well!

    By Blogger Niki, at 3/15/2005 11:48:00 am  

  • Looks good, Niki. I've been meaning to try doing a beer can chicken since I first heard about it - I like that you thought to fill the can with something other than beer. I'm inspired!

    By Blogger Nic, at 3/15/2005 12:22:00 pm  

  • I know I'm never going to look at a can the same way ever again!!

    Kitessa :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/15/2005 01:35:00 pm  

  • Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/11/2005 02:45:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home