.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Laughable Disaster!



Well, it happened, and happened spectacularly! Yes, it happens even to the best of us ;-) *SNORT*, and it totally warrants many few cackles of glee through the internet community: look at her mishapen volcano! Is it a science experiment?! What the heck happened to that thing? Yes, even my own mother paused before murmuring 'ummmmmm. Hmmmm'.
Witness the Disaster Cake! Yeah, you wouldn't believe this was supposed to be a lovely, decorated birthday cake for a friend, would you? No? Really? I'm surprised.

So - witness what happens when you decide to halve a recipe to make in your funky new floppy silicone bakeware, but forget to use self-raising flour, realise just before throwing it in the oven, scrape out the entire mixutre and add 1 teaspoon EACH of baking powder and bicarb. Noooo - not for me any checking of quantities for a half-mixture of cake! Noooo - I'll have none of that fact checking and quality control! I'll just chuck in a bagload of chemicals!
And, hence, I'll witness my cake mix rise like Lazarus and begin erupting like Mt Vesuvius. It was fascinating to watch. Just like a car crash. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the carnage of my mixture bubbling and boiling out of its mould all over the oven.
I couldn't save it, because by the time it was cooked it was sloped like a ski run and had no interest in releasing itself from the mould. The final sad creation looked as much like a cake as Big Bird does, and I was left with little time, little patience, and great annoyance.

However, in the past years I've developed my own intestinal fortitude, and no longer want to dissolve into a quivering mess, so I decided to just go with it. The solution? Turn it upside down, put it in a bowl, cover it with chocolate icing and call it a 'chocolate pudding'. We'd eat it with spoons! And I know my friends would laugh with me......and maybe only a little bit at me. :-) I did go to pains to explain to the one girl we didn't know that I am usually pretty good at this sort of thing....and waited for the confirmation from A. It took a distinct silence and severe glare before he came through with 'Oh! Yeah. Her stuff's usually good.' Wow. Thanks. :-P

But, you know, chocolate cake has a magical power, that even bringing a sad, misshapen, laughable creation as mine to finish a lovely dinner party, can't diminish. People love any chocolate cake, and I could have told them I scraped it off the back porch and they still would have been impressed that they had homemade chocolate cake on the table. Maybe not have eaten it, but you never know - some people aren't fussy...
So, we laughed, we served it with spoons and we drank it with coffee after an excellent dinner party.
Happy Birthday Vaughan :-)

16 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about your mishap, Niki. My Top 2 (or should it be Bottom 2?) so far is a batch of chocolate muffins without sugar and a (usually lovely) apple coffee cake with only one third of the required amount of flour. Both of them ended up you-know-where.
    However, my feta-tomato muffins didn't really suffer too much from the fact that I once found the melted butter in the microwave the following morning. They were a bit on a dry side, granted, but still edible.

    By Blogger Pille, at 7/27/2005 01:04:00 am  

  • You're a brave woman to post this...I usually ingnore my failures. Pretend they don't happen, never speak of it again, and so on. And since I do 97% of the cooking in the house, Matt tends to go along with me.
    Of course, they don't happen that often, so it works out.
    But I'm still bitter about that polenta dome...grr.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 7/27/2005 01:14:00 am  

  • Awwww, sorry to hear this! At least it was edible! And hey, it looks really good as a pudding too!

    And you've inspired me to actually starting to measure my chemicals - I usually just toss in "a bit", but now I'm too scared. :)

    By Blogger Anne, at 7/27/2005 02:05:00 am  

  • Sorry to hear about it Niki. It actually looks very good as a puddings and I'm sure it was delicious. Fortunately taste is not related to form.

    By Blogger Ana, at 7/27/2005 02:16:00 am  

  • Is that popcorn all over it? Hey, anyway, anything tastes good under layers of chocolate... except maybe a good roast dinner.. :o/

    By Blogger FactoBrunt, at 7/27/2005 02:37:00 am  

  • You got a good picture out of it as well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 02:53:00 am  

  • It definately could be worse. Very clever to re-christen it as a pudding! I usually try to come up with little names for things because people always ask what they are. Useful trick!

    By Blogger Nic, at 7/27/2005 08:03:00 am  

  • Good save! It looks delicious, as I'm sure it was. I've spoiled enough cakes in my time, that I don't think that alone would upset me, but the remains of Vesuvius hardened on the oven floor? That would get me! :-)

    By Blogger Cathy, at 7/27/2005 11:17:00 am  

  • How funny! Calling it pudding was a great idea! It looks really delicious anyway :)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7/27/2005 01:34:00 pm  

  • Good save Niki!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 01:54:00 pm  

  • He he - thanks for your support everybody! The whole debacle still makes me laugh. Well, if you can't laugh you'll cry....
    Incidentally - not popcorn on top, but not a bad idea for the trashy pudding angle, but bashed up walnuts, which were pretty yummy!

    By Blogger Niki, at 7/27/2005 04:34:00 pm  

  • My theory is, it is not a complete disaster if you use the best ingredients. I think we have to post our mistakes as well as our successes, it keeps us human. A quality I also admire - which you obviously have is an ability to laugh at oneself!

    By Blogger Amanda, at 7/27/2005 05:32:00 pm  

  • At least it wasnt burnt on the outside and raw on the inside! that was how I found out my oven's thermostat was brocken grrrrr (and it was a flourless almond cake too!!!!)

    Great job on the resurecting! (at least you won the war *grin*)

    By Blogger eat stuff, at 7/27/2005 06:39:00 pm  

  • Despite the troubles you went through - the cake looks delicious! Love it when things turn out wonderful in the end :)

    By Blogger deborah, at 7/28/2005 01:00:00 pm  

  • You should've given your blog URL to the girl you didn't know!

    Very resourceful Niki, I might not have known what to do. The cake does look delicious as a pudding!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/10/2005 06:59:00 pm  

  • LOL :) Nice to see that someone else has failures too! Most of the time I'm pretty good, but every now and again I'll try something and it just won't work. This year I wanted to make some nut brittle toffee to give as gifts. Ha! The first half-batch had to be chiselled off the marble slab I used to cool it. The second batch tasted like butterscotch instead of tofee, and the third batch, I decided to try a black sesame toffee like the one I'd seen in a shop - HAHAHAHA! it looked absolutley horrible. SO I've decided that I'll skip the whole toffee thing, and give away gingerbread instead - at least that always works. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/22/2005 03:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home