.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Esurientes in The Age!


Thanks to Cin for giving me a heads-up about this article in the Epicure section of The Age newspaper, about the "Foodblog boom" - and featuring details of a few Aussie foodbloggers, including me! (the bottom of Page 2. Access and registration is free, but if you have problems let me know, and I'll email you a copy) You can imagine how excited I was after dragging myself in (late) to work, feeling very much like I wanted to go back home to bed. I'm like a puppy dog now! I'm pleased Aussie foodbloggers have their own article; especially after the mixed-feelings about this article reprinted from The Observer, which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald a few weeks ago.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to write a post for the last few months now about the name of the blog and what it means. But I keep putting it off, thinking it will take too much time, too much energy, too much....Latin! ...and so I write about a nice cake recipe instead. It is coming, soon. But if you want a sneak preview; the name Esurientes is Latin, and has both culinary and musical connections (just like me).

As for pronunciation, it is: Eh-zoo-ri-ENT-es. Heh! Apologies to many of you who may have gone through the past year pronouncing it differently! I'm sure some of you probably feel like my friend did after discovering Hermione in Harry Potter wasn't pronounced HER-my-own. Not that it really matters to me how you pronounce it; if your'e visiting and enjoying it, that's good enough for me!

PS - And I wish I looked like the model pictured on the cover. Surrounded by a laptop and a lobster, writing a post by the kitchen sink. Yes, that's how it is around here. Hah! :-)

11 Comments:

  • Congratulations Niki! It's so exciting that Aussie foodbloggers are finally getting a bit more of the exposure they deserve.

    So when do we see you on the cover of Ralph? =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/25/2005 10:38:00 am  

  • Oh, next month for sure. Maybe they can feature my thighs. ;-)

    By Blogger Niki, at 10/25/2005 11:24:00 am  

  • Oh wow! How cool Niki! Congratulations :)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 10/25/2005 11:32:00 am  

  • LOL @ Ralph comment!

    Congrats on your mention Niki! I dont think I've actually sounded out the name of your blog, until a few seconds ago. Hehehe. Look forward to the indepth explanation :)

    By Blogger deborah, at 10/25/2005 02:35:00 pm  

  • You may thank my 9th and 11th grade English teacher; much Latin-learning in those classes!

    So, if nothing else, I've been saying your name right in my head...

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 10/25/2005 03:39:00 pm  

  • O Niki, esurientes te salutamos!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/25/2005 07:21:00 pm  

  • Niki, speaking as one of the few Oz blogs that was mentioned in the SMH article the other week, I must confess that I am now all bitter and twisted and jealous that The Age snubbed me in the latest food-blogging article. Especially since mine is a heavily Melbourne-oriented blog on breakfast. Odd that the Sydney flacks think a Melbourne blog worthy, but the Melbourne flacks passed me by. Anyway, at least I am now aware of many other Oz food bloggers... Pleased to meet you ;-)
    My brekky reviews and pics are here, FYI...
    http://thebreakfastblog.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Jamie Wodetzki, at 10/26/2005 12:46:00 am  

  • Hi Niki, congratulations on your newfound fame! Very well deserved!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/26/2005 01:08:00 am  

  • Congrats Niki. I just read the article. AS per your blog name, glad I had it right and yes I thought of asking you but decided to google it first and found out it is a cantata. How apropriate.

    By Blogger Ana, at 10/26/2005 01:25:00 pm  

  • In ieiunio et fletu quaequaque, everyone! No, that makes absolutely no sense, but it includes two of my favourite Latin words...so does well in keeping the mood high brow!!
    And thank you all for your good wishes!

    Jamie - a comment on your blog!!

    By Blogger Niki, at 10/26/2005 07:56:00 pm  

  • Not food related but if u want to bypass registration, www.bugmenot.com is the place to go. ie. has a list of usernames and passwords you can use so one does not have to register.
    And congrats on making newsprint.

    By Blogger Chai, at 10/31/2005 11:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home