.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, October 13, 2005

PacMan Lemon tartlets


The final dish from the Hen's Party Spring Collection 2005. :-) These little lemon tarts are replicas of the lemon meringue tarts I made for my friend's going-to-Japan cocktail party (aka alcohol debauchery) in July. Again, I used my home-made lemon curd, and made my own pate brisee for the pastry.

Unfortunately, in a fit of over-organisation, I decided to prepare these the night before -see bottom picture. I added the hideously expensive blueberries (fresh blueberries in spring? $8 a punnet!!) and was happy with how they looked, so put them in the cool laundry overnight. The next morning I found the lemon curd dried, withered and cracked. Heh, Dried up like a potsherd! And the was pastry soft and crumbly, from having absorbed the lemon juice. Buggery bugger!

So, in an effort to save these, I added a small dollop of whipped cream to each one, and placed one on top of the other; handling them very carefully so they didn't disintegrate, so to make little PacMan tarts. Many did fall apart, so I wasn't left with a great deal, but with the cream and blueberries poking out, they did still look quite pretty, if not quite as dramatic as they did the night before. Ah well.

8 Comments:

  • Good save Niki! They look fantastic - both before and after! :)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 10/13/2005 10:22:00 pm  

  • Brilliant save, Niki. I'm sure that no one would have guessed that you didn't intend to make pacmen!

    By Blogger Nic, at 10/13/2005 11:57:00 pm  

  • How pretty toppped with the pricey berries! Glad you got both shots! FYI my Canadian grandmother always put a tiny bit of cream cheese in before adding the curd. My friends call these "Nana's Tarts", usually starting with, May I have another ...?

    By Blogger Alanna Kellogg, at 10/14/2005 12:12:00 am  

  • Tee Hee....they do look like little Pac-Man figures. They sound delicious, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/14/2005 12:50:00 am  

  • Mmmm they look so cute and delicious. Good to see you were able to save them.

    By Blogger deborah, at 10/14/2005 09:12:00 am  

  • Wow, that really was brilliant! I would have been muttering and/or crying and they would have been in the trash (or possibly my stomach) before even one lame idea occurred to me. Kelly's right - they're gorgeous before and after!

    By Blogger Cathy, at 10/14/2005 01:21:00 pm  

  • That was a great idea Niki. And I bet that from now on that's how you'll make them. You know, the original looked good but these look so unusual.

    By Blogger Ana, at 10/15/2005 10:59:00 pm  

  • They look just too pretty! What a great idea to salvage them and make them even more unusual (though,er, I am very non-tech-savvy and have no idea what Pacmen are!)...I love your serving platter too.

    By Blogger Nupur, at 10/16/2005 01:12:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home