.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Research Project: CCCs No 4


See previous project attempts here! The initial, the second, the third.

Well, after having my self-imposed chewy Choc Chip Cookie research project mentioned in The Age, I thought I'd better actually do something about it and get back to you with an update on how it's going. I'm up to recipe no. 4, and I'm feeling pretty happy about the whole deal right now. I think I've just about cracked it!

A comment left on my last CCC post from Jessica inspired me with a new approach; wholemeal flour! And you know, it really works. It contributes a bit more texture to absorb the butter, so they don't get so crispy, as well as providing the heft and chew you get from adding oatmeal, but without adding oatmeal. It also gives the cookies an addictive, toasty flavour, and being wholemeal you can almost convince yourself that these are good for you. ;-) The flavour and aroma of these are gorgeous, and I didn't make the same mistake as before by using cheap-arse Home Brand dark chocolate. Lesson well learned there.
I did think they were just a tad too sweet for my tastes, but that could have been because I took Nic's advice and added 1 tablespoon of golden syrup for its hydroscopy (moisture retention) properties. You wouldn't think such a small quantity would have any effect but this tip really does seem to work - making these biscuits wonderfully moist and chewy. Nic suggested honey, which would also work; it's just that I had Golden Syrup to hand.
I'm not sure if 1 tablespoon of syrup would have dramatically affected the sweetness factor, so next time I might reduce the white sugar just a very little bit; only a little bc I don't want to alter the proportions if they're working for me.
These have definitely been my most successful CCCs to date. I did notice, however, that they did turn crumbly after a day or so; I had to treat them delicately, cradling them softly as I picked one up, as they tended to crumble apart in my hands. I'm not sure if this was normal. Jessica?
I love the use of the wholemeal flour, and will keep it in mind for other baking recipes; not only does it provide more texture, but using wholemeal flour is always a healthier option than refined white flour; and cutting back on refined flour and sugar is what many of us should be doing.

I think this is a great recipe to work with, however there is one more recipe I want to try. It is from a British baking book, and uses quite a different method to any other CCC recipe I've seen. Instead of creaming the butter and sugar, or melting the butter and adding to dry ingredients, you combine the butter with the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. It also has 4 tablespoons of golden syrup! This is quite unusual; so I'm keen to give it a go and see what it produces. Stay tuned!
Read on for the recipe:
Tagged with


Su Good Sweets Chocolate Chip Cookies
With thanks to Jessica from Su Good Eats

½ c sugar
½ c brown sugar
2/3 c butter (150g), softened
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbls golden syrup or honey (optional)
1 ½ c whole wheat flour
½ c chopped nuts
6 oz. (170g) dark chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375F (190C). Mix sugars, butter, egg, and vanilla & golden syrup. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto greased baking sheets.
Bake for 7-8 min, or just until edges begin to brown. If using optional golden syrup or honey, these will take a minute or two longer: ~9-10 minutes.
Makes approx 40.

8 Comments:

  • Alright! Getting close! They even look chewy from the photo, Niki.

    Congrats for the mention in the Age, as well. They mentioned quite a few blogs, too, which suprised me. Of course, I am a little bit jealous: my blog didn't get mentioned! =)

    By Blogger Nic, at 10/26/2005 08:49:00 am  

  • Glad to see that you're getting closer! I'm going to try wholemeal flour next time I make CCCs.

    By Blogger Kelly, at 10/26/2005 09:19:00 am  

  • Nic - thanks! And if they do come to my site, they'll see many comments from you, which are easy to click on to be taken to your site, where they'll be hooked!

    Kelly - I think the wholemeal flour idea is a great one. The girl who recommended it often subs a bit in place of some of the plain flour in many recipes.

    By Blogger Niki, at 10/26/2005 07:53:00 pm  

  • I've switched to whole meal flour for almost all of my cooking and baking needs. It makes some awesome homemade noodles for chicken & noodles!

    I have to admit, though, that beyone some health considerations, I mostly became hooked on a particular brand of flour because of its presentation. It's King Arthur flour, and on the paper sack, there's a picture of a knight, lance in hand, on a steed.

    The best part of the picture, however, is the caption: "Pure and wholesome." Yeah. Just like those knights.

    By the way, Niki -- I should hear on Friday whether or not the Honeycake recipe has been selected to undergo a taste test. I'll let you know!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/27/2005 07:42:00 am  

  • Aww. Thanks for the reassurance, Niki.

    By Blogger Nic, at 10/27/2005 08:23:00 am  

  • Hi, Niki--

    I just posted about my search (now ended?) for my favorite cc cookie. Looks like sweet tooths go for the same things!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/27/2005 12:06:00 pm  

  • oooh - these sound great! I love the idea of using some whole wheat flour.

    By Blogger Cathy, at 10/27/2005 01:05:00 pm  

  • Hi Niki, thanks for the prominent mention! I haven't had a problem with these cookies getting crumbly. Not sure what happened there. But some people would say I severly underbake my cookies. The edges are barely brown, and the inside could be considered half raw.

    By Blogger Jessica "Su Good Sweets", at 10/28/2005 09:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home