.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Rich Fudgy Chocolate Cookies


These are extremely good. When I was beginning my research project for the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie, I received many, many recipes from many people. One of my friends remarked on the coincidence that she had just that day received a chocolate cookie recipe from a workmate. This workmate is apparently a pretty top baker, and promised for months to send this recipe, which she promptly forwarded to me to try. (this friend is not the baking type! :- ) )
It was after a few batches of substandard CCC recipes that I was feeling a bit disheartened, and quite frankly, a bit sick of choc chip cookies (?!), that I chose to try this. Because it was a variation on a CCC, I thought it might be a nice taste change, and yet sort of, almost, possibly, technically fit the research proejct criteria. Ahem. Any excuse.

These are very rich and definitely fudgey; almost like a brownie in biscuit-form. The inclusion of cocoa as well as chocolate helps with both the soft texture and the intense chocolate flavour. What I loved was that I didn't have to get obsessive about cooking times; a few minutes too much or too little won't affect their texture too much, unlike a standard choc chip cookie which can turn into choc chipboard if you lose track of minutes. Perhaps they were just a tad too sweet for my taste; whilst there were no problems eating them, I felt that tickle in the throat and need to cough that you get after something intensely sweet, and I noticed several of my workmates having the same reaction. 350g is a lot of brown sugar, and I think it could be reduced a little without sacrificing the flavour or texture.

These were very popular, and those of you who have been following my baking-for-the-mystery-workplace project will be interested to know that they have instigated a score card and comments sheet for my weekly effort. Perhaps you might be interested in seeing this particular feedback?

Heh. "Room for improvement"?! I felt a bit affronted by Ken's comment, until his true motive was revealed; "If I write they were good, she'll stop making them!" he proclaimed upon interrogation. Huh! I would also like to point out that Joe has a degree in English Communication from an American university. Lol! His professors must be very proud.... ;-)
As you can see, the soft, fudgey texture I loved wasn't appeciated by all. Doesn't that just go to prove that the perfect cookie is differently perfect for different people.
Read on for the recipe:


I've included the recipe exactly how it was notated by workmate of my friend.
Rich Fudgy Chocolate Biscuits

Ingredients
250g dark chocolate
175g Butter
350g Soft Brown Sugar (or possibly less says Niki)
3 Eggs
Vanilla Paste (if you can get it) or Extract – just a splodge
275g Self Raising Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
White Chocolate Chips (optional) – quantity to taste (I used small milk chocolate drops)

Method
Preheat the oven to 160C (fanforced).

Melt chocolate and butter together in the microwave.
Add sugar and beat with a hand held whizzer.
Add eggs one by one while continuing to beat.
Add vanilla paste (or extract).
Sift flour and cocoa together and fold into chocolate mixture.
Fold in choc chips.

Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper and use two teaspoons to drop dollops mixture well spaced out on the trays.
Bake for about fifteen minutes.



14 Comments:

  • Mmmm, those look heavenly.

    What does "fanforced" mean, Niki?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 06:51:00 pm  

  • Joe's comment made me laugh! Wish my coworkers were that candid. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2005 05:50:00 am  

  • LOL - I love the scoring sheet! These look great, and definitely something my family would enjoy.

    By Blogger deborah, at 11/10/2005 10:24:00 am  

  • Heh, clever boys! Need to compare to the next batch indeed :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2005 12:06:00 pm  

  • Beth - fanforced means an oven with a fan inside to keep the heat even. The vast majority of ovens are like this, at least in Australia. With some ovens (like ours) you can turn off the fan for things like sponge cakes or souffles, if you don't want swirling air currents possibly wreaking havoc on rising possibilities.

    Alice - Joe's comment is the main reason I decided to include the score sheet!

    Saffron - There's even a proper, printed-out table of everything I've made with a grade out of 10! Apparently they get bored on Friday afternoons...

    Anon - Pretty devious, eh? I really did laugh at that!

    By Blogger Niki, at 11/10/2005 12:46:00 pm  

  • Ha! No one on my panel has (yet) been quite as eloquent as Joe!

    Beth/Niki - I wonder if fan forced is like a convection oven?

    By Blogger Cathy, at 11/10/2005 02:36:00 pm  

  • This looks too, too delicious... Can't wait trying them out!

    By Blogger Daffy, at 11/11/2005 02:57:00 am  

  • Hey Niki,

    Love the blog!! Those cookies look so delicious, I could lick the screen.

    I'm a Nigella Lawson fan too. I've yet to make her chocolate gingerbread, but it looks fab.

    Currently I'm trying to work my way through her first book, How To Eat, which has been a lot of fun.

    http://sarah-discovers-how-to-eat.blogspot.com

    Keep up the good work!

    xox Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11/13/2005 01:13:00 pm  

  • Can you translate the recipe into US measurements? Pretty please? I love chocolate chocolate chip cookies.

    By Blogger Jessica "Su Good Sweets", at 11/14/2005 03:43:00 pm  

  • I just tried this recipe, replacing some of the flour with wholemeal and almond meal. It turned out fabulous! Rich, chocolate-y with a nutty backdrop. YUM.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/14/2005 03:48:00 pm  

  • Sarah - I've seen your site and I love it! What a great idea; have to admit it crossed my mind too, but you've actually gone through with it! I'll be reading eagerly.

    Jessica - I use the site www.onlineconversion.com quite a lot, as I'm often having to convert recipes from funny, archaic American quantities (fl. oz????) to normal metric stuff. The site works the other way too, and even has a section on cooking conversions.

    Maria - oooh, I really like that idea. Thanks for passing it on. I have wholemeal flour, I have almond meal....I'm very tempted!

    By Blogger Niki, at 11/14/2005 08:13:00 pm  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2008 01:00:00 am  

  • mmmm, these look extra scrumptious!! can't wait to try them, they sound so incredibly yummy, but that doesn't mean they will taste any good! Hopefully they won't give me food poisoning or an upset tummy!!!?
    I'll post another comment after I've tried them, that's if I'm not in hospital or dead :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/08/2010 09:54:00 pm  

  • hello, it's anonymous again. The cookies were atrocious. They tasted absolutely foul, but i guess that's because... i've never liked chocolate :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/10/2010 05:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home