.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Lemon Yoghurt Babycakes



This recipe was taken from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. It is her recipe entitled Baby Bundts, but as I don't have a mini-bundt tray, nor have any desire to go out and buy one any time in the near future, (I mean, really!) I decided to make them in my muffin tray. I quite like the smaller size cakes produced in a muffin tin anyway, so it wasn't too much of a decision to make.
I still have my large carton of natural yoghurt sitting pretty in the fridge, and also have a large bag of excellent lemons from a backyard tree; a kind present from my friends mentioned in earlier posts (thank you!). As I was flicking through Domestic Goddess last night, in search of cardamom recipes for the next Sugar High Friday my eyes caught on this recipe. My mind did the quick mental checklist and confirmed that I had all required ingredients, so the next night I got to work (starting at 11pm.....well, it was too hot to go to bed!).

These are very light but incredibly moist little cakes, scented with lemon and given quite some zing from the lemon icing. Perfect for a little summer sitting-on-the-balcony with a cool, sparkling drink party.

Lemon Yoghurt Babycakes
From: Baby Bundts - How to be a Domestic Goddess

Cake:
125 ml natural yoghurt
75g butter, melted
2 large eggs
zest & juice 1 lemon
150 g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
125 g caster sugar
Icing:
200 g icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Makes 10 muffin sized babycakes, if using a muffin tray (otherwise, 6 baby bundts).

-Preheat oven to 170C.
-In a measuring jug, mix the yoghurt, melted butter, eggs & lemon zest & juice.
-Put flour, bicarb, salt and sugar into a large bowl
-Mix the wet ingredients into the bowl, folding everything in well, then fill the moulds with the mixture
-Cook 25-30 minutes.
-When they come out of the oven, leave to cool a little before turnign them out, otherwise they'll break - but don't let them get too cold either, as they will stick.
-Cool on a wire rack.
-To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, and add enough lemon juice to make an icing thick enough to ice the tops and drizzle down like snow-capped peaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home