.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The big beer ad



This is fabulous hilarious!
It's the latest beer commercial for Carlton Draught using a huge cast flapping about to Orff's O Fortuna chorus, from Carmina Burana (a secular cantata, not an opera as so many journalists think. Just a little pet peeve of mine!). I think it's internet only, as it hasn't been seen on tv (or has it?).
I know, it's already appeared on another Aussie site, but in the interests of showing this ad to as many people as popular, I seized the opportunity to 'borrow' the photo and spread the word. (Thanks Augustus Gloop!)
It's very quick to download. And so very Aussie! You must see it. Fabulous!

Update 28/7 ...and I just discovered two friends with whom I sing are on the soundtrack! The Melbourne Chorale were hired for the gig and I'm told that the first couple of run throughs were full of giggles, but it was a blast.

10 Comments:

  • Carmina Burana has gone from coffee to beer! Do you remember it advertising Nescafe? Must have been the mid-eighties.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 05:31:00 pm  

  • I just loved it. I nabbed it for my site. BTW love your recipes also.

    By Blogger rasita, at 7/27/2005 06:19:00 pm  

  • interesting.... I was enjoying an ad a few weeks ago for a beer called Rickards Red. Very similar concept. Let me see if I can dredge it up.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7/28/2005 03:26:00 am  

  • Thank you for that laugh Niki, we loved it. :)

    By Blogger Anne, at 7/28/2005 04:05:00 am  

  • I loved it Niki. Thanks for sharing. I happen to love Carmina Burana. Would have loved to see the Nescafe add too, but this one is just spectacular. I'm going to send it to my friends, even if we probably do not get that beer here.

    By Blogger Ana, at 7/28/2005 08:18:00 am  

  • Wah...couldn't get it to play!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 7/29/2005 03:42:00 am  

  • Nice take-off of the massively expensive Saatchi British Airways "moving eye" ads. In UK Carmina Burana was used for the Old Spice after-shave which was then reworked as the Guinness surfing horses ad, also pretty expensive. The ad industry is very self-refer/devourential but this one's a good mickey-take.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/31/2005 07:19:00 pm  

  • Linda did you dredge up that Rickards Red ad?? I have been looking for that one specifically and I cannot find it ANYWHERE. Hope you have found it somewhere.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 06:24:00 pm  

  • hey, does anyone know the Rickards BEer commercial with the intense opera song in it? I've been trying to find out what it is but i cant seem to

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2006 12:47:00 pm  

  • The rickards red oprah song is dies irae requium by mozart... i dont know how i know that

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2007 08:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home