.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Friday, August 18, 2006

Kit Kat Milkshake!


Remember that series I did earlier in the year about the funny Kit Kat flavours I found in Japan? What fun we had! Well, amongst the many comments I received from you, telling me in detail about what Kit Kat flavours you could get in your country (bastards!) somebody emailed me and offered to send me some from the USA!!! How cool is that? What a legend! I was more than keen to try some more Krazy Kit Kats, and since then we've started up a bit of a cross-cultural confectionary exchange. Very cool. Just for the record - I'm very open to offers from other readers.... ;-)
I feel guilty, because it's been months since I received these, but you all know I'm lazy. This fabulous reader sent me example of a Milkshake Kit Kat and Kit Kat Triple Chocolate in miniature and a King Size Crispy model because, as she wrote,
"Americans just aren't fat enough!"
She also sent (and this was the highlight for me) something like 10 pounds of different flavoured Hershey's Kisses. I love this woman. I love Hershey's Kisses, and yes I know the chocolate quality sucks and yes, I know, it makes me cough, but I still love it. In my package I received plain, dark chocolate, cherry cordial (ooh!), peanut butter and caramel. The cherry cordial ones were funky - in a bad way. They tasted just like that cherry flavoured cough syrup all Aussie kids had to take when they were young. Ewwww. The peanut butter flavour tasted just like Reese's pieces (mmmm), but my favourite was the plain. There must have been something like 1000 kisses (slight exaggeration) and I'd say they were all I lived on for about a week. Fabulous.

But what did I think of the Kit Kats? Well, I have to say I wasn't terribly excited by the Triple Chocolate. Just chocolate wafer and chocolate cream covered in chocolate. Not so different from a standard Kit Kat. The chunky version was an over-the-top late night snack I really should have portioned and allocated one piece a day, but instead I gobbled up the whole thing. Pretty sweet. I think the use of corn syrup in American confectionary really reveals itself in sweetness levels. I tend to find American candy a bit too sweet for my taste, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth, anyway.
More exciting was the Milkshake flavour. Interesting. It had a noticeable taste of malted milk powder, which was pretty enjoyable. Not on par with the flavour intensity of the Japanese bars (but nothing can surpass the world leaders in this arena!) but certainly tasty. It had a weird effect on me though....it made my mouth go numb!! Seriously, I couldn't feel my tongue or cheeks. Hmmm -you know what? I'm really not sure that's the sort of effect you're supposed to have from a bit of candy! Very weird. In a brief flash of panic, I even wondered if my reader was some mad stalker who had tampered with the chocolate so to add to her list of people she'd killed through candy (sorry V.!!!). Very weird.

So, ratings:
Triple Chocolate: 6 out of 10 (innocuous)
Milkshake: 7 out of 10 (but way less if you consider the whole mouth anaesthetic weirdness!)
Assorted Hershey's Kisses: 1000!!!

Thank you V. for such a kind gesture. You know how much I appreciated it. :-)

6 Comments:

  • brilliant! i love this kitkat series :)

    and i love how the packaging of the Milkshake one says "Naturally and Artifically Flavored".... like it's a selling point! hehe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/19/2006 12:37:00 am  

  • where have I been? I had no idea all those different flavors were available in the US for kisses or Kit Kats. Time to do a little candy shopping!

    By Blogger Cathy, at 8/19/2006 12:49:00 pm  

  • You are making my mouth water! I want chocolate! Yum!

    By Blogger Dianka, at 8/22/2006 05:49:00 am  

  • I was in a convience store the other day and I found dark chocolate m and M's and ice cream flavor skittles. Would you me to send you those too?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2006 02:26:00 pm  

  • And to think I get excited when I see the mint ones!

    By Blogger Belinda, at 8/23/2006 07:20:00 pm  

  • Shauna - I laughed at the same thing!

    Cathy - you have great unusual candy in the US. Time to discover it!

    Cin - I know it's the corn syrup that makes their soft drinks so sweet, but I'm not 100% certain it's what is used in chocolate bars. Could well be, which makes sense because they taste sweeter than ours. Corn syrup is nasty stuff - apparently one of the major factors in the huge rise in adult-onset diabetes and obesity in the US.
    I didn't know that we had new flavours - must check them out!

    Candy Guy - I'm going to check yours out now!

    Dianka - Kit Kats are goood!

    Jess- Milkshake skittles. How cool! I'd be very interested, but I wonder if they'd get here in time, as I'm heading off to Europe in about 25 days and will be over there for 2 months. Thank you for the offer!

    Belinda- I haven't tried them yet. It feels much more exciting to get Kit Kats from O/S!

    By Blogger Niki, at 8/24/2006 01:40:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home