.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Monday, August 15, 2005

Melbourne readers Top Brownie & Slice recipes

A few months ago readers of the Epicure section of Melbourne's broadsheet, The Age, read about the best Brownie recipes around and the best recipes for old-fashioned slices. Both articles invited comments from readers and apparently they were inundated with emails offering favourite tried-and-tested brownie and slice recipes. One of the writers has previously gone on the search for Melbourne's best souvlaki and pizza joints based on reader suggestions, so it's always fun when he puts out the call.
The writers at Epicure were encouraged to try baking as many as possible (now there's a job perk - I bet their ingredients were paid for by The Age, too! I bet they didn't have apoplexy at the cost of a packet of ground almonds! This is my favourite theme of the moment....) and, in last week's edition, they included the best of the bunch. There are some pretty gorgeous looking recipes there, so I thought I'd point you in the right direction.

Brownie recipes from Melbourne readers here. (love the brownie cupcake idea)
Old-fashioned slice recipes here. (that caramel, macadamia and hazelnut slice is going to haunt my dreams for many months....)
Free registration required to access The Age. Don't worry - they don't bombard you with spam like some other newspapers I've encountered!

2 Comments:

  • They look so delicious! I've printed both to try someday. Thanks for sharing Niki.

    By Blogger Ana, at 8/15/2005 08:36:00 pm  

  • Hi Niki, I love your passion about the almond meal pricing issue and how you manage to mention it so often! I feel your pain (in the hip pocket!) I'm going to investigate an Indian grocer to see if it's more economical there.

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8/18/2005 07:50:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home