.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Kit Kat Blackcurrant


See others in the Funny Japanese Kit Kat Series here: Strawberry, Caffe Latte, Noir.

Well, from the sublime to the ridiculous. From gourmet petite dark chocolate to something that just should not exist. This is a blackcurrant Kit Kat. Yes, it even sounds wrong, doesn't it? I mean, blackcurrant equals Ribena, right? Ribena should not be mixed with chocolate. No, no, no.

Apologies for the slightly melted example above, but they had survived a trip to and from Ballarat in my boot, to be sampled by some very excitied friends, whose reactions went something like this:
"Oh wow! Cool, funny flavoured Kit Kat from Japan! Yeah, I'll try one"
....*pause*....
"Oh yuck. This smells like a toilet!"
"Yeah, toilet flavoured Kit Kats!"
"Ummmm...These are revolting."

Yes, I have to agree. These are not great. They taste just like the smell of that cheap-arse bright pink bubble gum that comes in a 20metre coil. When I gave my friend his sample last week, I didn't tell him before hand what he'd be trying. He would close his eyes and smell each one to try and guess the flavour before tasting it. His immediate reaction was:
"This smells like something that shouldn't be mixed with chocolate"

Of course, that hasn't really stopped me snacking on them. This was the only flavour that came sold in a big fat sack, so I had about 20 of the things to get through. But when you're desperate.......
My score: 2 out of 10 (2 for the sheer fact that I evidently thought them not so awful to only eat one...)
His score: 1 out of 10 (probably more accurate)

4 Comments:

  • Well I didn't think it smelt like a toilet (admittedly I just scoffed it because it's chocolate) but it was weird, unnatural - like eating coco-pops with blackcurrant juice.

    By Blogger Belinda, at 1/26/2006 07:11:00 pm  

  • Belinda - Coco pops with blackcurrant juice is an excellent description of what these taste like

    Natty - Thank you! You probably would have liked another one I had, which I deleted because it showed too much of the melty chocolate. This photo tried to hide some of it.

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/27/2006 11:25:00 pm  

  • Wow, what cool flavours! Can I point out that the kitkat you've reviewed is actually meant to be grape and not blackcurrant. The strawberry and cream edition I've tried didn't even turn out to be white chocolate - it was milk powder "cream" based. Don't think these special editions all turn out to be sickeningly sweet?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/30/2006 12:36:00 am  

  • OMG.

    Must. Have. Blackcurrant. Kit Kat.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/08/2008 06:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home