.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Friday, January 27, 2006

Kit Kat Maple Syrup


See others in the funny Japanese Kit Kat series here: Strawberry, Caffe Latte, Noir, Blackcurrant.

You might be mistaken for overlooking this one. Kit Kat White, it says. But no! Look up in the top right. Can you see what looks like some golden coloured syrup being poured and a small red Maple leaf? Well, maybe not, cos the box opening goes right through it, but it's there. Yes, this one is maple syrup flavour! Mmmmmm....

My gripe with all these exciting Kit Kat flavours is that they too often use a white chocolate base to carry the flavours. Now, I can understand it in the case of Maple Syrup, but some of the others could have been distinctly improved by using "real" chocolate instead of the nasty white stuff (no, I'm not a fan.)
So, my first taste of this was underwhelming. It tasted like white chocolate. Bleah. But then an aftertaste takes over, of quite delicious, natural-tasting maple syrup. This was the "subtle flavour" my friend preferred when he didn't like the caffe latte flavour so much. He really liked this one. I quite liked it. It's certainly one of the more interesting flavours I found. A good souvenir.
My score: 6.5 out 10
His score: 8 out of 10

5 Comments:

  • One of the many fun things we did in Ireland was to go into small grocery stores and find all the strange and different candies. We brought tons of them home with us, and passed them around to friends.

    That was a blast.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 1/27/2006 05:52:00 pm  

  • Stephanie - It is perhaps my very favourite thing to do in a foreign country too! I just love seeing what different and interesting things they have on their shelves. I remember the BEST Dutch speculaas cookies I found in a tiny little store somewhere in hick Germany, for about $1. Mmmmm. And Asian grocery stores - well, you could spend all day in there!

    Cin - I've forwarded your comment to him; I'm sure he'll be very interested!

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/27/2006 11:14:00 pm  

  • I am so jealous! I've wanted to try all these different flavours of kit kat, but I haven't found any. T_T; Have you also tried the green tea kit kat? Those are high on my list of "must try" flavours. I must also try these maple syrup ones too...mmm...maple syrup.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/29/2006 08:07:00 am  

  • Tea - Green tea flavour was my main project on this trip, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I assumed it was a summer thing?? I would have loved to try them. I found lots of other green tea flavoured things though. My favourite were little chocolate truffle squares filled with green tea ganache called "Melty Kisses". Mmmmm...

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/29/2006 11:17:00 pm  

  • I didn't notice the leaf because I was too busy trying to read the katakana in the corner 'me-po-ru si-ro-pu'. I guess that is bastardised english for you :) I wish I had thought to do something like this when I was in Japan, but I guess I was revelling too much in deep fried dried squid with mayonnaise, and takoyaki and okonomiyaki yummy!! You've got a great foodie blog...did you end up finding a DIY okonomiyaki place in Melbourne?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2008 05:35:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home