.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Kit Kat Noir


See others in the funny Japanese Kit Kat flavour series here:
Strawberry, Caffe Latte.

Kit Kat Noir. A name that didn't grab me at first. In my search for crazy green tea type flavours, a plain dark chocolate Kit Kat wasn't so exciting. But of course in the pursuit of research I bought a packet.
This is from the Kit Kat "Chocolatier" range, which I think is a type of boutique or gourmet range. They come in a fancy box and, most obviously, are about 1/8 the size of a normal Kit Kat. These are like the After Dinner Mint of Kit Kats. One tiny mouthful, one tiny taste to tickle your tastebuds.
You might be able to see in the shot below a photo of a man in a chef's hat on the back of the box. Made by Patissierie Takagi. Cos yeah, I'm so sure that Mr Takagi personally oversaw these little mass-produced Kit Kats. I even doubt that he created them. I mean, really!
So, the rating. Well, I have to say that I think these are my favourite of all I tried. This is proper bittersweet dark chocolate, dusted with real cocoa powder on the top. These are Kit Kats for the chocolate conoisseur. Not sweet, good quality chocolate flavour. Excellent!

My score: 9 out of 10
Friend's score:
9 out of 10
Today we're in agreement. :-)

4 Comments:

  • phwoar! they look lovely. but your mention of 'after dinner kit kat' has me hoping that there is really such a thing? imagine a nice bit of mint like in a Mint Slice sandwiched between the wafers and then darrrrrrrrrrk chocolate. oooh i'd pay big money for that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2006 01:31:00 am  

  • I've been enjoying your posts about the KitKats. It's interesting to hear about your challenge of finding them while in Japan.

    I find mine at a Japanese grocer chain here in Los Angeles but I've ordered some directly from Japan before.

    I have Strawberry right now and a friend is sending me the Wine ones.

    Canada has a dark chocolate variety too that's pretty good. I've also heard they have one in Canada called "Milkshake" that sounds pretty good.

    I'd really like to try the green tea too, I liked the Green Tea Pocky I tried last year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2006 09:08:00 am  

  • Shauna - Hey, phwoarrr right back at you :-) (did you know it's apparently an Aussie thing to use that expression??!) I'm with you on the after dinner mint Kit Kat; that would be fab, although someone left a comment on one of the other kit kat posts about a Mint Chill kit kat we've had here. I don't think it'd be as good as mint cream and dark chocolate, but still, kind of attractive...

    Cybele - Ooooh, Milkshake kitkat. Nice! Since I left Japan I've been hearing aobut all kinds of great ones I DIDN'T find. Cherry blossom, Kir, Passionfruit, Pineapple....grrrr.

    By Blogger Niki, at 1/26/2006 12:15:00 pm  

  • Maybe Takagi-san tasted Blackcurrant Kit Kats and said he definitely wasn't putting his face on that flavour's packet. (Hmmm I always thought "phwoar" was British but yay, there are other people who use it.)

    By Blogger Belinda, at 1/27/2006 04:04:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home