.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Update on dukkah

dukkah
A few people have asked questions about the dukkah I mentioned in the previous post. It's become a fairly popular seasoning in Australia, with the current appreciation for Middle-Eastern food.
I didn't make the dukkah myself; it was bought at a produce market in the Yarra Valley, but it's not too hard to find. We also have a tin of it, made by Peter Watson spices, which I've seen sold in lots of places. It seems to be made by quite a few companies. Herbie's Spices in Sydney also make one themselves.
Here's some information I found on a website:
Dukkah is a delicious combination of Middle Eastern spices and flavours: Hazelnuts or chickpeas as a base, along with pepper, coriander, cumin and sesame seeds.Dukkah has a long tradition in the Middle East and has been enjoyed by many of it's cultures. After a tiring day travelling with camel, Arabs would gather around a small fire roasting spices, nuts and seeds, and finally crushing them into a coarse powder. They would then take hunks of bread, dipping them first into olive oil, and then into the Dukkah to satisfy their hunger.Today Dukkah may be enjoyed from Egyptian street vendors. A small paper cone is filled with Dukkah and given to the customer along with strips of pita bread, which are dipped into the vendors bowl of olive oil and then into the Dukkah in the traditional way. Each vendor has a unique Dukkah recipe and is fiercely proud of his combination of traditional and regional flavours.Of course Dukkah need not only be enjoyed in the traditional way. It is a very versatile seasoning and works equally as well sprinkled on salads or vegetables, mixed with honey as a sweet sandwich spread, as a crust for roasted chicken, lamb, or fish, or even mixed into bread dough before baking.

It also sounds quite easy to make yourself, and a search on Google brings up lots of recipes. Here's a few.
I'm most used to having it served in a bowl alongside a bowl of good olive oil. We take Turkish bread and dip it in the oil, then the dukkah. It gets a bit messy, but it's tasty. I've also watched a Middle-Eastern friend use the oil and dukkah as a topping for a type of simple flat-bread pizza dish, with some fresh coriander.
Of course, those who have read my blog for a while know about my aversion to the flavour of cumin, so I can't claim to be a huge fan of dukkah, despite hazelnuts being my favourite nuts. But I'm getting there.....

2 Comments:

  • Can't say I'm too proud to be an American. But I'm proud that I know what dukkah is! I got mine at theoccasionalgourmet.com

    By Blogger emily, at 6/16/2005 12:17:00 am  

  • Hi! If you loathe cumin. Give it a try with caraway. My friend used it in dukkah due to a translation mistake. And know what? It was delicious! Later I did some research and learned that it is not as farfetched as it might seem as some other dishes from the region are spiced with caraway.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6/22/2005 12:25:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home