.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Truffled salsa and creamy egg


The computer is still broken, but hopefully being fixed soon. In the meantime I've looked through my archive of photos waiting to be written about to find something that didn't necessitate bringing in a recipe book to work!
This one comes from a dinner party in February where my friends made the main course and one of the dessert courses, and I brought along some nibblies to have with drinks and two (yes, 2!) other desserts.


Last year a friend was helping another friend pack up their house before they married and moved to Paris, and they offloaded a lot of stuff from their fridge to him. One particularly gourmet item was Tetsuya's Black Truffle Salsa, which I know to be damn expensive. He took one sniff of it and decided it smelled revolting, like it had gone off, and was about to throw it in the bin before he pulled back and thought maybe he'd get me to test it. I did, and I confirmed that yes, that's what truffles were meant to smell like ("like petrol??!" "Yes, like petrol!")....based on my worldy experience of truffles having once had a tiny bottle of truffle oil in the cupboard...ahem.
So, when deciding what canapes to make I thought it'd be a good chance to use up this truffle salsa (ingredients consisting of black truffles, porcini mushrooms, olive oil etc.etc. all top stuff). I recalled that truffles are best served with a quite bland blanket of flavour, like potatoes, pasta or egg, so the flavour (and that petroleum taste) really shines.
I hard boiled up a couple of eggs and mixed them with some King Island Dairy pure cream. Yes, I know - decadent, but we're having truffles here. This is not the time for your Black&Gold dollar dazzler. To this I only added some salt flakes. Nothing else. And I have to say this egg mixed with cream and salt tasted damn good on its own!
I had some trouble with my fancy-pants Scandinavian wafer crackers, in that they wouldn't split into even pieces. They were the perfect raft for the egg & truffle mixture, but next time I'll remember that they must be consumed immediately, otherwise the toppings make them go soggy, and then they're not so great. So, there you go - fancy-pants black truffle and creamy egg canapes. Very, very nice! Perfect with some vintage champagne.

9 Comments:

  • Good to see you back Niki! I have been plotting about that salsa! Seriously. I read something on Greedy Goose about it and then Grab Your Fork and now I am just waiting for my next trip to David Jones before I get some and mix up some Black Truffle Salsa Butter!

    By Blogger plum, at 3/29/2006 03:45:00 pm  

  • Oooh...that is decadent! and so darn attractive.

    Good to see you back, too.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 3/30/2006 06:21:00 am  

  • Found you! now all I have to do is read you.
    Frank

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2006 09:05:00 am  

  • Mmmmm, triple cream and truffles! What a way to go down. good luck with the computer thing.

    By Blogger s'kat, at 3/31/2006 02:09:00 am  

  • Looks amazing! I'm definitely going to try making this for my next hor d'ouerves(sp?) party.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2006 08:19:00 am  

  • Yum, yum, yum! Very special! I've tagged you for a "around the world-meme". Hope you'll like it! :)

    By Blogger Anne, at 4/02/2006 11:27:00 pm  

  • Have you seen Tessa Kiros' new cookbook? Its so lovely. I bought it on the weekend and its a perfect bedside reading companion, with some divine photography.

    By Blogger Books and Tea For Two, at 4/03/2006 08:15:00 am  

  • Hi Plum - yes, I'm looking to where I can buy some more. I got a $150 voucher for Simon Johnston for my birthday, so I'm plotting wildly. Don't know if I should go for foodstuffs or kitchenware, actually...

    Stephanie - truly decadent!

    Frank - Hi there! Now we've found each other the blog-universe. Kind of makes it funny when we see each other in person!

    S-kat - Can't beat triple cream. Fabulous stuff.

    Mingerspice - I'm with you on the spelling...I have no idea. this would be great for a party. As would the other one I've just posted which is also fantastic.

    Anne - Ooops, I'd better go and check tht!

    Be-zen8 - I've heard of Tessa and seen one of her books but never actually picked it up to look at. I've heard good thigns about her, though.

    Misti - what a fabulous comment, and what a witty way to enter the competition. I'm thrilled you found my blog and that it inspired you. Were any photos taken that you could send to me? I'd really love to see it!

    By Blogger Niki, at 4/07/2006 05:09:00 pm  

  • Niki - great canape! Should I ever end up with a leftover jar of black truffle salsa, I'll know what to do:)

    By Blogger Pille, at 4/14/2006 04:19:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home