.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Esurientes - The Comfort Zone

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Pomegranate & Pistachio cakes



For the market stall I participated in recently, I made not only the chocolate brownies below, but some lemon butter (still to come) and these pomegranate & pistachio cupcakes. Last time when I made the pomegranate and berry cakes, they were admired and snapped up so quickly that I decided to do something with my pomegranate molasses again.
I deciede to try a different base recipe this time, as I had some leftover yoghurt that needed to be used up, so the recipe for the lemon-yoghurt baby cakes I've made before fit perfectly; few ingredients and mainly all kitchen staples.
After taking these out of the oven, and while they were still hot I brushed them with the pomegranate molasses to give a tangy, sticky glaze and then added some chopped pistachios. Next time I would toast the pistachios, or add them before baking. I think the taste could be further brought out.
Of the two pomegranate cupcake recipes I've made, I think I preferred the first one. It had a lighter texture and carried the flavour better. And it had a far superior crispy crust! These were also good, but maybe better suited to what they are originally, lemon-yoghurt with a tangy lemon icing.
Recipe can be found in this post:

6 Comments:

  • Ooh...that sounds yummy!

    I now have a bottle of pomegranate molasses that I bought for the tart (we had the juice already), so I might as well find things to use it in.

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 7/05/2005 10:39:00 am  

  • Stephanie, pomegranate molasses is really good with lamb, which I know you won't like, but Matt might. That lamb pizza I posted about had minced lamb flavoured with cinnamon and some pomegranate molasses - really yummy!
    It's also good drizzled over some grilled zucchini with oregano. And a little over fresh fruit for a summer dessert is perfect!

    By Blogger Niki, at 7/05/2005 12:57:00 pm  

  • You're lucky that you're able to participate in the market stall on a regular basis. I always think it's fun to bake for, essentially, strangers to see how they'll react. Of course I always want them to love it. I know it's a bit paranoid, but occasionally I'll wonder if a friend of family member may be exaggerating how much they like something...

    By Blogger Nic, at 7/05/2005 01:21:00 pm  

  • Nic - You should see me as the stall is underway, hovering by the table like a worried mother, or annoying buzzing mosquito. I become very protective of my goods, and feel like it's my own unloved teenage daughter at a school dance if they're left sitting folorn on the table. I note everyone who buys my things and closely watch their facial expressions if they start eating it there. If that's not paranoia on an even higher level than yours, then what is?? :-)

    By Blogger Niki, at 7/05/2005 01:23:00 pm  

  • That is one fine photo. Makes me want to rub that baking tray on my face. In a non-sexual way, of course. :)

    By Blogger Daniel Hatadi, at 7/05/2005 05:08:00 pm  

  • Danny - Well, thank you. Although in a sexual way would make for a great story!

    Pseudo Chef - Yes, I love my oven. But if you did get a good oven, you wouldn't be called a pseudo chef anymore though!

    By Blogger Niki, at 7/07/2005 07:27:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home